Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > An Odd Challenge

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2

Here’s a slightly more ‘challenging’  challenge for those of you out there who fancy having a go at pushing the limit a bit.

As ever, you need to produce a track, either on your own, or ideally with some fellow collaborators - your masterpiece can be an instrumental, a song, spoken piece, or whatever takes your fancy.

All you have to do to enter this challenge is use an “odd numbered” timing (with the exception of 3/4), so 5/4, 7/4, 9/4 etc and if you really want to push the boat out why not throw in a tempo change somewhere throughout the track as well, although this is optional.

Oh, and your cover art needs to be “Odd” as in strange, weird, unfathomable - you know, just odd.

We’ve incorporated a new feature for everyone who creates a project for one of our challenges, so please make sure you follow these easy steps.  

How to enter: 

Once you create your challenge project, go to the ‘Project Settings’ on your project page.  Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.  You’ll see ‘ProCollabs Challenge’ – just click the down arrow and choose which challenge you’re entering, and 'Save'.  That’s it; you’re all done & now entered in the challenge!

This is a challenge not a competition and everyone who participates will receive a prize, as follows:

1. Projects with 3 or more collaborators will receive a $10.00 credit and an Odd Challenge badge.
  2. Projects with 2 collaborators will receive a $5.00 credit and an Odd Challenge badge.
  1. A solo effort will receive an Odd Challenge badge.

The whole idea behind these challenges is to have fun, of course.  But, it’s also a way to encourage ‘collaborating’.   So reach out to other members, send invites, and ‘pimp your project’ to get others involved. 

The deadline for entry is February 1st, 11:30pm, so there’s plenty of time.

Lint Cakes
The Test of Time
All The Time In The World
7 Pulses
Linus AG
In odd we trust
Feeling Odd

#3693 Posted Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:15 pm

Here’s a slightly more ‘challenging’  challenge for those of you out there who fancy having a go at pushing the limit a bit.

As ever, you need to produce a track, either on your own, or ideally with some fellow collaborators - your masterpiece can be an instrumental, a song, spoken piece, or whatever takes your fancy.

All you have to do to enter this challenge is use an “odd numbered” timing (with the exception of 3/4), so 5/4, 7/4, 9/4 etc and if you really want to push the boat out why not throw in a tempo change somewhere throughout the track as well, although this is optional.

Oh, and your cover art needs to be “Odd” as in strange, weird, unfathomable - you know, just odd.

We’ve incorporated a new feature for everyone who creates a project for one of our challenges, so please make sure you follow these easy steps.  

How to enter: 

Once you create your challenge project, go to the ‘Project Settings’ on your project page.  Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.  You’ll see ‘ProCollabs Challenge’ – just click the down arrow and choose which challenge you’re entering, and 'Save'.  That’s it; you’re all done & now entered in the challenge!

This is a challenge not a competition and everyone who participates will receive a prize, as follows:

1. Projects with 3 or more collaborators will receive a $10.00 credit and an Odd Challenge badge.
  2. Projects with 2 collaborators will receive a $5.00 credit and an Odd Challenge badge.
  1. A solo effort will receive an Odd Challenge badge.

The whole idea behind these challenges is to have fun, of course.  But, it’s also a way to encourage ‘collaborating’.   So reach out to other members, send invites, and ‘pimp your project’ to get others involved. 

The deadline for entry is February 1st, 11:30pm, so there’s plenty of time.

---

Originally posted by Vuya on Wed 21 Nov, 2018

Oh yeah! :) Sounds good to me!

#3694 Posted Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:19 pm

Oh yeah! :) Sounds good to me!

Originally posted by Astronut on Wed 21 Nov, 2018

Cool, looking forward to hearing something Odd......... I think I’ll be having a crack at this as well :-)

#3695 Posted Wed 21 Nov, 2018 4:24 pm

I was hoping to get time for the holiday challenge. ?This one IMUST do. I will have my subconscious mind participate in this one for me while I’m sleeping. 

#3696 Posted Thu 22 Nov, 2018 9:30 am

I was hoping to get time for the holiday challenge. ?This one IMUST do. I will have my subconscious mind participate in this one for me while I’m sleeping. 

Originally posted by V1CTOR on Thu 22 Nov, 2018

That’s great Vic... and also slightly odd which is even better :-)

#3697 Posted Thu 22 Nov, 2018 2:16 pm
I just added a project called Linus AG. But I'm not sure it qualifies :) I'm not an expert on time signatures, but the way I'm counting it out is 7/4 and 9/4, which of course put together is 16/4. Does it count as odd timing?
#3731 Posted Sat 15 Dec, 2018 12:02 pm
I just added a project called Linus AG. But I'm not sure it qualifies :) I'm not an expert on time signatures, but the way I'm counting it out is 7/4 and 9/4, which of course put together is 16/4. Does it count as odd timing?

Originally posted by paulelong on Sat 15 Dec, 2018

Yes, I reckon it counts ok. 7/4 and then 9/4 is fine - and odd and that’s what counts :-)

#3732 Posted Sat 15 Dec, 2018 4:34 pm

Originally posted by paulelong on Sat 15 Dec, 2018

It's almost like this challenge is itself creating a second, sub-challenge.. "Name that Time Signature" ..fun!

No expert hear ( pun intended :) but I like to have a go at questions that I can't answer. 

So this is what I am basically feeling for the count -

123 123 12 | 123 123 12 | 123 123 123 | 123 123  - repeat

And the riff is playing.. roughly (starting on the root F) -

(F) 1 2 3  1 - 3  - - | (F) 1 2 3  1 - 3  - -  | (F) 1 2 3  1 - 3  - - -   | (A) 1 2 3  (Gb) 1 2 3 

It's a triplet feel and the length of the first two bars is odd in comparisson to the last two which makes it hard to squeeze into a common quarter note time sig., so I'm more inclined to suggest that varying ?/8 measures are happening rather than being a ?/4 type timing with triplets. Here's what my best [early morning] guess would be:  

||: [8/8] 123 1-3 -- | 123 1-3 -- |  [9/8] 123 1-3 --- |  [6/8] 123 123 :||

So I think you are safely in the realm of "odd". Cool riff. Can't wait to hear how it develops. 

#3733 Posted Sun 16 Dec, 2018 7:24 am

It's almost like this challenge is itself creating a second, sub-challenge.. "Name that Time Signature" ..fun!

No expert hear ( pun intended :) but I like to have a go at questions that I can't answer. 

So this is what I am basically feeling for the count -

123 123 12 | 123 123 12 | 123 123 123 | 123 123  - repeat

And the riff is playing.. roughly (starting on the root F) -

(F) 1 2 3  1 - 3  - - | (F) 1 2 3  1 - 3  - -  | (F) 1 2 3  1 - 3  - - -   | (A) 1 2 3  (Gb) 1 2 3 

It's a triplet feel and the length of the first two bars is odd in comparisson to the last two which makes it hard to squeeze into a common quarter note time sig., so I'm more inclined to suggest that varying ?/8 measures are happening rather than being a ?/4 type timing with triplets. Here's what my best [early morning] guess would be:  

||: [8/8] 123 1-3 -- | 123 1-3 -- |  [9/8] 123 1-3 --- |  [6/8] 123 123 :||

So I think you are safely in the realm of "odd". Cool riff. Can't wait to hear how it develops. 

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Sun 16 Dec, 2018

Nicely worked out, now you just have to lay a bass track down for it in 11/8..............

Another great part of this challenge is the amount of  “odd”  music that’s being done :-)

#3736 Posted Sun 16 Dec, 2018 10:24 am
There’s some really great tracks coming together here, nice work everyone ;-)

And there’s still plenty of time to join in, either with your own track or why not jump onboard and collaborate on one of tracks looking for talent, they’re all listed on the original post - have a listen and get in the “odd” groove :-)
#3754 Posted Sun 30 Dec, 2018 11:48 am
1 2

Forums > Community Challenges > An Odd ChallengePage 1 of 2

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up