Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > The 'Film Trailer' Challenge

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4 5 6

So, you think you can write and produce music that will sell a movie? Well that is the premise for this challenge. But top soundtracks aren’t created by just one isolated musical genius, and you’ll have to work as a team player if you want to win this one. And yes, I did say ‘win’ - only one team can prevail and win the star prize!

The Movie

“Sintel” [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUrrG_O5hLM ] is an independently produced short film, initiated by the Blender Foundation and funded by 1000s of donations via the internet community. “Sintel” is licensed as Creative Commons Attribution 3.0, meaning that it can be freely used… which is awesome for us writers!

For our competition, you will be using the movie’s trailer.

Download the Sintel trailer from here: https://download.blender.org/durian/trailer/sintel_trailer-1080p.mp4  [ right-click 'save as' to download ]

How it Works

You’ll work in a team of at least 3 members to write, record, and produce a new trailer soundtrack for Sintel (including voice).

Each member of the team will take-on a specific key role (see below for details).

When done, you will post a version of your soundtrack synchronized with the trailer video and share a download link. We will be uploading all of your finished videos to our YouTube channel (feel free to do the same). From here, they will be judged by the masses and one winning team shall prevail.

Project Roles / Credits

There are 3 key roles to fill: Composer, Performer, and Producer - which must be filled by a different member (or members) of the team.

Within these key roles, you cannot multitask across roles. For example, if you are designated as a Composer, then you will write the music but cannot be the person to perform the music or mix the final recording.

Therefore, the team must consist of at least 3 people. You can recruit additional collaborators if desired and you can have more than one person in each role:

1. Composer – The composer group will be responsible for writing the melody and harmony (i.e. the tune and chords).
  2. Performer – The performer group will be responsible for performing and recording the various instrumental parts.
  3. Producer – The producer group will be responsible for the overall direction of the project, as well as the mixing and final mastering.

You should also consider assigning these additional roles in your team:

• Voice Actor – Responsible for providing the recorded voice that will be lip-synced with the characters and other commentary.
  • Video Editor – Responsible for producing the finished video version synchronized with the soundtrack.
  • Cover Artist – Responsible for creating the project cover art.
  • Whoever else you think you'll need!

This will be a team effort!

How to Enter

Sorry, this challenge has ended!

Prizes

Everyone who participates and completes the competition will get a prize:

The winning team will get $50 in PC credit each (that’s free Gold Membership for a year!). 

Runners-up will each receive $10 PC credit.

Everyone will get a PC badge of pride!

What to do

Part 1: Put your name forward

Part 2: Setup your project and compose your sound track. [SEE TEAMS BELOW]

Instructions: Its time to go. Please follow these instructions very carefully:

Performers - since you have no producer (yet), you will be incharge until further notice. You need to:

1. Setup the project and give it a temporary title;
  2. Go to the project edit settings and make sure to select the Film Trailer Challenge option - this will show up in your project title if correct;
  3. Set up a meeting in the 'writing room' with your composer to discuss your project (they will need to upload a holding file to be recognized as a collaborator);
  4. Once you have an idea on the general direction and main ideas, go find more performers and anyone else you need for your project! You must have at least 2 performers (artists) in your team;
  5. You also need to find your team a producer!!

Once you have a producer, they will take over these steps. Also let us know so that we can update your team listed below.

Composers - you need to:

1. Upload a temporary holding file to your project so that you are visible as a project collaborator
  2. Then, discuss with your team mate(s) the general direction and  ideas for the project - you will do this in the project 'writing room';
  3. You are responsible for the composition. You can only write the melody (tune) and the harmony (chords). 
  4. You must only WRITE your music down, you cannot record anything. You need to upload your finished music score (in whatever form it takes) as a single PDF to the project. 
  5. You can write it however you want (lead sheet, music notation, tab, chord symbols, pictures, or as a last resort, humming into a recorder is also ok) but you will want to discuss with your performers as they will need to be able to read it! - again.. do not post a DAW or similar recording of you performing your music. Find another way to get your tune and harmony across cool
  6. Make sure to consider the tempo and timing of your music, as it needs to roughly fit length of the movie trailer, of course
  7. You have until the 5th Noveber to upload your score as a PDF. 

By all means, work together, but please bear in mind, it is the composers job to actually write the music score. Performers are not allowed to start on their recording until after the music has been posted. 

Deadline: 2 weeks. Part 3 instructions will be posted on Tuesday, 5 November.

Questions and Confusion?

Post below if you have any questions.

Looking forward to hearing some awesome tune for this movie.  Good luck!

Those who dare.. the story so far..

Team 1

Nemanja - Composer

DryFat -  Performer

-- We need a producer!!

Team 2

farhadaham - Composer

THKoR - Performer

-- We need a producer!!

Maybes - feel free to organize your own teams or jump on one of the active ones

SergeOzeryan - Composer

DarkCola44 - Performer (finger style guitar)

Kimberh - Composer,

MaryAnn115 -  Composer (lyricist)

Jeremiah - Performer (Character Voice Overs and anything else needed!)

GBM13 - Performer

Ofacepro - Producer (mixing)

What's On The Story Board So Far...

Sintel Trailer Community Challenge
Sintel Film Trailer Challenge

#3935 Posted Mon 02 Sep, 2019 1:21 pm

So, you think you can write and produce music that will sell a movie? Well that is the premise for this challenge. But top soundtracks aren’t created by just one isolated musical genius, and you’ll have to work as a team player if you want to win this one. And yes, I did say ‘win’ - only one team can prevail and win the star prize!

The Movie

“Sintel” [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUrrG_O5hLM ] is an independently produced short film, initiated by the Blender Foundation and funded by 1000s of donations via the internet community. “Sintel” is licensed as Creative Commons Attribution 3.0, meaning that it can be freely used… which is awesome for us writers!

For our competition, you will be using the movie’s trailer.

Download the Sintel trailer from here: https://download.blender.org/durian/trailer/sintel_trailer-1080p.mp4  [ right-click 'save as' to download ]

How it Works

You’ll work in a team of at least 3 members to write, record, and produce a new trailer soundtrack for Sintel (including voice).

Each member of the team will take-on a specific key role (see below for details).

When done, you will post a version of your soundtrack synchronized with the trailer video and share a download link. We will be uploading all of your finished videos to our YouTube channel (feel free to do the same). From here, they will be judged by the masses and one winning team shall prevail.

Project Roles / Credits

There are 3 key roles to fill: Composer, Performer, and Producer - which must be filled by a different member (or members) of the team.

Within these key roles, you cannot multitask across roles. For example, if you are designated as a Composer, then you will write the music but cannot be the person to perform the music or mix the final recording.

Therefore, the team must consist of at least 3 people. You can recruit additional collaborators if desired and you can have more than one person in each role:

1. Composer – The composer group will be responsible for writing the melody and harmony (i.e. the tune and chords).
  2. Performer – The performer group will be responsible for performing and recording the various instrumental parts.
  3. Producer – The producer group will be responsible for the overall direction of the project, as well as the mixing and final mastering.

You should also consider assigning these additional roles in your team:

• Voice Actor – Responsible for providing the recorded voice that will be lip-synced with the characters and other commentary.
  • Video Editor – Responsible for producing the finished video version synchronized with the soundtrack.
  • Cover Artist – Responsible for creating the project cover art.
  • Whoever else you think you'll need!

This will be a team effort!

How to Enter

Sorry, this challenge has ended!

Prizes

Everyone who participates and completes the competition will get a prize:

The winning team will get $50 in PC credit each (that’s free Gold Membership for a year!). 

Runners-up will each receive $10 PC credit.

Everyone will get a PC badge of pride!

What to do

Part 1: Put your name forward

Part 2: Setup your project and compose your sound track. [SEE TEAMS BELOW]

Instructions: Its time to go. Please follow these instructions very carefully:

Performers - since you have no producer (yet), you will be incharge until further notice. You need to:

1. Setup the project and give it a temporary title;
  2. Go to the project edit settings and make sure to select the Film Trailer Challenge option - this will show up in your project title if correct;
  3. Set up a meeting in the 'writing room' with your composer to discuss your project (they will need to upload a holding file to be recognized as a collaborator);
  4. Once you have an idea on the general direction and main ideas, go find more performers and anyone else you need for your project! You must have at least 2 performers (artists) in your team;
  5. You also need to find your team a producer!!

Once you have a producer, they will take over these steps. Also let us know so that we can update your team listed below.

Composers - you need to:

1. Upload a temporary holding file to your project so that you are visible as a project collaborator
  2. Then, discuss with your team mate(s) the general direction and  ideas for the project - you will do this in the project 'writing room';
  3. You are responsible for the composition. You can only write the melody (tune) and the harmony (chords). 
  4. You must only WRITE your music down, you cannot record anything. You need to upload your finished music score (in whatever form it takes) as a single PDF to the project. 
  5. You can write it however you want (lead sheet, music notation, tab, chord symbols, pictures, or as a last resort, humming into a recorder is also ok) but you will want to discuss with your performers as they will need to be able to read it! - again.. do not post a DAW or similar recording of you performing your music. Find another way to get your tune and harmony across cool
  6. Make sure to consider the tempo and timing of your music, as it needs to roughly fit length of the movie trailer, of course
  7. You have until the 5th Noveber to upload your score as a PDF. 

By all means, work together, but please bear in mind, it is the composers job to actually write the music score. Performers are not allowed to start on their recording until after the music has been posted. 

Deadline: 2 weeks. Part 3 instructions will be posted on Tuesday, 5 November.

Questions and Confusion?

Post below if you have any questions.

Looking forward to hearing some awesome tune for this movie.  Good luck!

Those who dare.. the story so far..

Team 1

Nemanja - Composer

DryFat -  Performer

-- We need a producer!!

Team 2

farhadaham - Composer

THKoR - Performer

-- We need a producer!!

Maybes - feel free to organize your own teams or jump on one of the active ones

SergeOzeryan - Composer

DarkCola44 - Performer (finger style guitar)

Kimberh - Composer,

MaryAnn115 -  Composer (lyricist)

Jeremiah - Performer (Character Voice Overs and anything else needed!)

GBM13 - Performer

Ofacepro - Producer (mixing)

What's On The Story Board So Far...

--- 

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Mon 02 Sep, 2019

Now that’s what I call a Challenge........it’s a really great idea, nice one Lee :-)

I’ll join in one of the teams, either as a Composer or Performer.

Let’s hope we get a lot of ProCollabers taking up the Challenge and joining in.

#3937 Posted Mon 02 Sep, 2019 5:21 pm
A message posted Mon 02 Sep, 2019 6:29 pm was deleted by the moderator
I agree, this is an awesome concept. I'll be peeking in to see who joins in, and might jump in myself. :)
#3941 Posted Mon 02 Sep, 2019 6:32 pm
Cool beans fellows. Hope to see more than the two of you take up the challenge :)
#3943 Posted Tue 03 Sep, 2019 10:39 am
Very cool challenge! Not entirely sure which role I want. I love to play with sounds, so composer might be my best role. However, I will take another role if needed to form a team. Kudos!
#3967 Posted Mon 23 Sep, 2019 6:14 pm
Very cool challenge! Not entirely sure which role I want. I love to play with sounds, so composer might be my best role. However, I will take another role if needed to form a team. Kudos!

Originally posted by kimberh on Mon 23 Sep, 2019

Awesome, Kim! You are first on the roster. Hoping there'll be more to follow your lead :)

#3971 Posted Tue 24 Sep, 2019 9:56 am
awesome, put me in a musician role
#3973 Posted Tue 24 Sep, 2019 4:03 pm
awesome, put me in a musician role

Originally posted by GBM13 on Tue 24 Sep, 2019

Musician you are!

#3974 Posted Wed 25 Sep, 2019 1:32 pm
My soundtrack can be much longer than the 0:52 trailer to allow for the editor to spice and edit to the video?
#3975 Posted Wed 25 Sep, 2019 5:52 pm
1 2 3 4 5 6

Forums > Community Challenges > The 'Film Trailer' ChallengePage 1 of 6

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up