Music Forums

Forums > Production, Sound and Audio > Basic Set-Up For Newbies

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 
If you use a lot of software instrument, you Must have Logic, but to Mix /Master, I would use MB3 Good luck!

Originally posted by TSTstudios on Fri 05 Feb, 2016

I mostly use guitars, Tom, but my drummer pal David McNair is a Logic guy, and it makes sense to switch up. We do our own mastering, so getting Mixbus makes a lot of sense to me.
#1212 Posted Sat 06 Feb, 2016 1:50 pm
I mostly use guitars, Tom, but my drummer pal David McNair is a Logic guy, and it makes sense to switch up. We do our own mastering, so getting Mixbus makes a lot of sense to me.

Originally posted by grah3am on Sat 06 Feb, 2016

Good idea, It is a Win Win to switch, so you only have to send the project file between you, but mix master it in MB3, like I do
But if you guys need some help wit mix/mastering just PM me :-)

Tom.
#1213 Posted Sat 06 Feb, 2016 8:21 pm
I started out working with the very despised Fruity Loops (or FL Studio as it is called now) producing Electro and Dance music with just my old PC running windows XP. I quickly developed the ambition to start recording some Metal demo's at home. So, I had a cheap old mic my dad used to use way back in the day to make pirate radio broadcasts here in Amsterdam. Which I just plugged into the mic input on my PC. I also had a Jack converter that went from Jack 6,35mm to 3,5mm. I used that to plug in guitar directly to my line-in input. I worked like this for a while, developing my interest in recording and sound design in general.
When I was about two years into this "hobby" I had gathered mostly MIDI gear to work on my EDM kind of tracks, but was still working on that old PC with no interface whatsoever. The reason I was doing a lot of EDM was mainly from my restriction of not having a decent interface to work with and make actual music.

Now after some years and with gear coming and leaving my home studio I am currently working on a basic yet effective set up:
iMac Retina 5K 27", 3,5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD (and about 10TB of external hdd's)
Logic Pro X
A lot of Waves Plugins
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface
2x KRK RP5 G3 Vintage Gold (love that color) monitors.
(I know a lot of people hate KRK's for being too bottom-heavy and missing a lot of top-high, but in my room they seem to work perfectly and I work really fast with them since I thoroughly know these monitors)
Mics:
2x Shure SM58 Dynamic
1x Shure SM57 Dynamic
1x Shure SM7 Dynamic
1x Audio-Technica AT3035 Condenser
1x Devine BM-600 Condenser
Some weird old drum mics I can't seem to identify but they sound OK-ish.
Every time I do full band recordings or drums, I usually go out to a big studio and record these kind of things there and just use my own studio for the overdubs.

Also, my main business is mixing and that works perfectly on my current setup and the room I'm in (which is perfectly treated acoustically). I would only like to maybe upgrade my interface to a nice UAD interface so I can use their plugins and use it as a good A/D and D/A converter to maybe someday start using some outboard gear (although I'm pretty okay just mixing in-the-box).
#1245 Posted Sun 14 Feb, 2016 9:51 am
Here is an alternative idea for an expansive set up. Just check out the gear you can afford.
As you all know I am constantly on the lookout for different maybe better ways to get the best results for troubles.
This is a link from "Mix magazine" showing how to be great for a mere $35,000.00. (this is a good time to faint).

http://www.mixonline.com/news/technology/box-35000-bucks/426694

Let me know if there is any problem with the link.
I have another link that contains the separated tracks up to 50 and beyond. This is a free mixing forum where you can get excellent feed back on what you have done. I am a site member and it has allowed me to mix all types of genres. This is great for producers to see different song structures. It is also a place to get very professionaly recorded tracks for mixers to try their hand at. It is a wealth of information offering many how to books and even shows some work-arounds. Try it you like it.
http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#Fergessen

Stay tuned more and more on the way. : -

TC
#1341 Posted Thu 17 Mar, 2016 6:12 pm
Hi,
In my never-ending quest for the best of that is cost effective, check this out for finding inexpensive small condenser mic.
http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/small-diaphragm-condenser-mics/

Let me know if there is any trouble with the link.
: - )
#1358 Posted Sun 20 Mar, 2016 6:23 pm
PC box running Pro Tools 10 with dual monitors
M-Audio Profire 2626
Behringer ADA8000
Audix, Shure, Audio Technica, and GLS Audio microphones
Sub-woofer and two pairs of entry-level monitors in an acoustically treated space. Monitor upgrades are on the to-do list.
#2084 Posted Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:13 am
PC box running Pro Tools 10 with dual monitors M-Audio Profire 2626 Behringer ADA8000 Audix, Shure, Audio Technica, and GLS Audio microphones Sub-woofer and two pairs of entry-level monitors in an acoustically treated space. Monitor upgrades are on the to-do list.

Originally posted by Astronut on Mon 23 Jan, 2017

What I wouldn't give for some proper acoustic treatment and a nice subwoofer in my place :)
#2085 Posted Mon 23 Jan, 2017 11:17 am
What I wouldn't give for some proper acoustic treatment and a nice subwoofer in my place :)

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Mon 23 Jan, 2017

If you have your own home and some time/money, you can do the work yourself. Joe (Phoephus) recommended this forum to me and it was absolutely helpful.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php
#2087 Posted Mon 23 Jan, 2017 2:59 pm
If you have your own home and some time/money, you can do the work yourself. Joe (Phoephus) recommended this forum to me and it was absolutely helpful. http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Originally posted by Astronut on Mon 23 Jan, 2017

Unfortunately, my current situation is a little bit temporary. I had sent up my room last time around but had to move from there so just kinda winging it 'till I'm in something a bit more suitable.

Thanks for the link/info.
#2089 Posted Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:59 pm
Just to add some more fuel to the fire. Here's a great video on setting up the basics for home recording for under $500.

https://youtu.be/XLXSqan3Jcs
#2107 Posted Tue 31 Jan, 2017 10:00 am
1 2 3 

Forums > Production, Sound and Audio > Basic Set-Up For NewbiesPage 3 of 3

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up