Music Forums

Forums > Production, Sound and Audio > Basic Set-Up For Newbies

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3
"Yes, like Dani, I sometimes sing very LOUD! ;)"

Me, sing loud? Pffft, that's an understatement. I can wake the dead with my big mouth, haha! :)
#1194 Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2016 12:34 pm
Whoa.......I remember the good old Tascam 4 track - I had one of them as well. I was a young guitarist who loved playing and wanted to record some tracks and with no idea what I was really doing, I bought one, only to find out I also needed a Microphone, Monitors, Headphones etc etc. Naive or what..........

These days with my Electric guitar I either mic my amp using an SM57 and Rode NT2A (usually together) through an Apogee Interface or just DI straight in and use the Marshall Simulator in Logic Pro X into my iMac. I try and keep it simple.

For acoustic my guitars have an Expression System allowing me to DI, or I mic up my acoustic amp (sometimes a combination of both is nice).

Either way I just play around until I get a sound I like, and with the exception of a touch of delay I don't use many plug ins, I do have an old Tape Delay I love using (when it works.......) and it has to be placed away from the mic as it makes a whirring sound.......... but then again maybe that is just in my head........ :)
#1195 Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2016 2:56 pm
Ghetto home studio in my bedroom:
Laptop computer
Interface: Focusrite Scarlette 2i2
DAW: Mixcraft Pro Studio 7
Monitors: Mackie CR3 3" Creative Reference Multimedia Monitors
Mic: MXL V250 Condenser Microphone
Vocal fun box: TC-Helicon Voicelive Play GTX
Midi: Casio keyboard
#1196 Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2016 5:10 pm
Number one a good mic,an old desktop or mac,cool pro edit or adobe audition are still a groove,and the internet and ROCK OUT!!
#1201 Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2016 7:52 pm
OK Let me see. I use Apple OS X on a PC with a i7 3.4ghz four cores, 16GB memory two SSD driver 120 and 250GB and a 1TB backup a 29" 2530x1080 Led Monitor, TASCAM US-366 Interface, Prodipe 6" Studio monitors wit 10" Sub, for sound check, sony Sound-ramp speaker, ProAc Response 1SC Audiophile speakers. Harrison Mixbus 3, Logic Pro X, Studio One Pro 3, WaveBurner Mastering program. Main DAW is Mixbus ;-) I only Mix/Mastering, NO Playing anymore!

Originally posted by TSTstudios on Wed 03 Feb, 2016

Our music teacher says just putting tracks into Harrison Mixbus makes it sound better. What do you say, Tom?
#1202 Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2016 8:00 pm
If you have problems getting on the internet with the old xp,send an email to me and I will get you on there in ten minutes.
#1203 Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2016 8:04 pm
Just one little note.You get what you pay for,I understand that.Sometimes thats overrated,because the most simpleless direction can be the best.For vocal work,music and with a good mic and pop filter,cool pro edit is still excellent or adobe audition for recording and all a great price.
#1204 Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2016 8:13 pm
Our music teacher says just putting tracks into Harrison Mixbus makes it sound better. What do you say, Tom?

Originally posted by grah3am on Thu 04 Feb, 2016

I say YES, it does sound better! only to load it into MB3. I use Logic Pro X before, and never get close to the mixes I make today with MB3, you need to go back in time to remember, how you work on a real analog Mixer-console and stop use so many plugins, and use what you have on every channel, (3band EQ, 3 Compressors, Low-cut,) do it the right way in Mixbus, and you get the sound you want, easy! ;-)
#1205 Posted Thu 04 Feb, 2016 8:54 pm
I say YES, it does sound better! only to load it into MB3. I use Logic Pro X before, and never get close to the mixes I make today with MB3, you need to go back in time to remember, how you work on a real analog Mixer-console and stop use so many plugins, and use what you have on every channel, (3band EQ, 3 Compressors, Low-cut,) do it the right way in Mixbus, and you get the sound you want, easy! ;-)

Originally posted by TSTstudios on Thu 04 Feb, 2016

Interesting. I intend to upgrade from Garageband to Logic, and will definitely add Mixbus to my shopping list. Thanks, Tom.
#1209 Posted Fri 05 Feb, 2016 4:31 pm
Interesting. I intend to upgrade from Garageband to Logic, and will definitely add Mixbus to my shopping list. Thanks, Tom.

Originally posted by grah3am on Fri 05 Feb, 2016

If you use a lot of software instrument, you Must have Logic,
but to Mix /Master, I would use MB3

Good luck!
#1210 Posted Fri 05 Feb, 2016 7:48 pm
1 2 3

Forums > Production, Sound and Audio > Basic Set-Up For NewbiesPage 2 of 3

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up