Music Forums

Forums > Buy, Sell and Trade > Getting a new computer

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

Hey there guys.

I'm thinking of getting a new computer and I'm wondering if you guys have any tips for one that is not to pricy but performs well when I want to produce music. I use FL studio.
#2079 Posted Sun 22 Jan, 2017 11:14 am
Hey there guys. I'm thinking of getting a new computer and I'm wondering if you guys have any tips for one that is not to pricy but performs well when I want to produce music. I use FL studio.

Originally posted by Jorgob on Sun 22 Jan, 2017

Hey Jorgob. I don't have too much of insight that will help, especially when it comes to "brands", but are you thinking about a laptop or a desktop? If its just for your studio then I would definitely go with a desktop as you can always upgrade and change stuff up later. Laptops will do the trick of course but might limit you in the future. Also be better for you it will be a dedicated machine?

I think the other big question to ask when it comes to home studio computers is, how many plugins? I think that can be a real issue as some of them can really use resources. So you'll need ram and fast processing. My suggestion would be that 16 GB is a good and safe place to start, but at least 8 GB if you will just be using stock plugins for the time being.

Another thought would be on if you are planning to do mostly live recording (as opposed to midi), as you'll need a fast hard disk and a fair amount of space. If you can afford it, SSD drives are way worth it. These are also great if you are going to be using virtual instruments.

Also worth spending money on is the audio interface as well.

One more thing that I would suggest, do as much research as possible. Apparently, not all computers are equal, and the individual brands and components can be a real show stopper for music - look up "real-time audio processing" as a starting point - there's nothing worse than stuttering and ASIO overloads when trying to record or mix music :/

I'm sure others with more experience on this subject can be of more help. But for you reference, I'm using an Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz E5 4 core processor, 16 GB RAM, SSD for audio and VSTs, with Windows 10 and Cubase, and regularly use a mass of Wave plugins when mixing. It copes pretty well.

Good luck!
#2080 Posted Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:22 pm
Hey there guys. I'm thinking of getting a new computer and I'm wondering if you guys have any tips for one that is not to pricy but performs well when I want to produce music. I use FL studio.

Originally posted by Jorgob on Sun 22 Jan, 2017

Here is a fairly recent article that gives you some ideas & price ranges for production/recording computers.

http://www.sysprobs.com/10-best-laptops-for-music-production-and-recording

If you scroll down to the comment section, you'll see that someone mentions the site newegg.com - which I highly recommend. In the past, I have purchased from that site and their prices are amazing.
#2081 Posted Sun 22 Jan, 2017 1:30 pm
Also, if you'd like to see what a few other members are currently using, check out this forum post - https://www.procollabs.com/forum/20/117?page=1

You can also reach out to Tom, who is the PC mentor. He is very knowledgeable in this department. https://www.procollabs.com/member/Tomic
#2082 Posted Sun 22 Jan, 2017 1:38 pm
Wow thanks a lot for the help, you have been every helpfull
#2083 Posted Mon 23 Jan, 2017 9:50 am

Forums > Buy, Sell and Trade > Getting a new computerPage 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up