Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Did You Know?

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 
#3 I Hear Ya Calling
Figured I would post this little tip as I see it happening fairly often on new projects. The tip is, only call for help when you're in trouble! Ok, maybe that's not a great analogy on a collaboration site, but what I'm trying to suggest is that, in general, it's better to post your 'talents needed' when you actually need them.

Here's the scenario. So you start a project, post your riff/words/idea, it's green field and you're looking for pretty much everything, so you add a complete list of ALL the talents that you can think of in one go. Kinda typical me thinks.

Instead, think about managing the 'talents needed' as the project progresses. Do you really need a mixing engineer before you've even recorded the song? Do you really need a saxophone solo before you've recorded the rhythm section? By the time you really do want those elements, your project has already lost primetime visibility.

Think about how the 'talent needed' notification system works on ProCollabs. You post talent needed for your project and member's with matching talents immediately receive an email telling them that a project is looking for their skills. They log in, see your project - which doesn't actually need their skills at that point in time and hence the best they can do is give you kudos - and then they forget about it.

Whilst on the subject of 'talent needed' notifications, here are a couple of things to bear in mind:
1] Notifications are NOT sent out if there is no audio on your project (sorry lyricists). So if you are going to use the notification system to draw attention to your project then get it set up first, post your audio (even a sample or comparison idea), and then add the talents needed afterward.
2] Once a 'talent needed' notification has been sent to a member once, it won't be resent a second time. So make the best of the one chance that you have!
3] You can define your own talent names and titles, and lots of folk are very creative with the talent that they need for their project. Again, just bear in mind that most members are not going have the talent 'Anything you like'. So if you want the notifications to go out, make sure to select real talents too.

And finally, don't forget to remove the individual talents from the list as and when you get them. Members don't want to be searching projects only to find that you've already filled the spot. So please do maintain your projects and keep your 'talents needed' list current.

T'anks for listening!
#1628 Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2016 2:59 am
[b]#3 I Hear Ya Calling[/b] Figured I would post this little tip as I see it happening fairly often on new projects. The tip is, only call for help when you're in trouble! Ok, maybe that's not a great analogy on a collaboration site, but what I'm trying to suggest is that, in general, it's better to post your 'talents needed' when you actually need them. Here's the scenario. So you start a project, post your riff/words/idea, it's green field and you're looking for pretty much everything, so you add a complete list of ALL the talents that you can think of in one go. Kinda typical me thinks. Instead, think about managing the 'talents needed' as the project progresses. Do you really need a mixing engineer before you've even recorded the song? Do you really need a saxophone solo before you've recorded the rhythm section? By the time you really do want those elements, your project has already lost primetime visibility. Think about how the 'talent needed' notification system works on ProCollabs. You post talent needed for your project and member's with matching talents immediately receive an email telling them that a project is looking for their skills. They log in, see your project - which doesn't actually need their skills at that point in time and hence the best they can do is give you kudos - and then they forget about it. Whilst on the subject of 'talent needed' notifications, here are a couple of things to bear in mind: 1] Notifications are NOT sent out if there is no audio on your project (sorry lyricists). So if you are going to use the notification system to draw attention to your project then get it set up first, post your audio (even a sample or comparison idea), and then add the talents needed afterward. 2] Once a 'talent needed' notification has been sent to a member once, it won't be resent a second time. So make the best of the one chance that you have! 3] You can define your own talent names and titles, and lots of folk are very creative with the talent that they need for their project. Again, just bear in mind that most members are not going have the talent 'Anything you like'. So if you want the notifications to go out, make sure to select real talents too. And finally, don't forget to remove the individual talents from the list as and when you get them. Members don't want to be searching projects only to find that you've already filled the spot. So please do maintain your projects and keep your 'talents needed' list current. T'anks for listening!

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Thu 07 Jul, 2016

Excellent tips, and I agree completely - I used to do the same thing, but I am learning, Grasshopper! :)
#1632 Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2016 1:13 pm
Excellent tips, and I agree completely - I used to do the same thing, but I am learning, Grasshopper! :)

Originally posted by RAVEN on Thu 07 Jul, 2016

Every time I see this...I remove another talent request from my lyric project lol. I have NO music whatsoever or idea for it as far as that goes either so I'm down to vocals, music composition and production. Have I got it right yet?
#1633 Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2016 1:53 pm
Every time I see this...I remove another talent request from my lyric project lol. I have NO music whatsoever or idea for it as far as that goes either so I'm down to vocals, music composition and production. Have I got it right yet?

Originally posted by DanielWilliams on Thu 07 Jul, 2016

Ha, sooooo true. You need the whole nine yards! :)
#1634 Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2016 1:58 pm
Haha -- I'm laughing because nobody other than Dani normally listens to anything I say :)

But yeah. That makes sense. You gotta write something before you can bring it all together, of course. You might wanna try identifying people that think you might click with, with an artist search, and pm'ing them or just inviting them. We do have a couple of very creative people 'round here somewhere!
#1635 Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2016 2:01 pm
Ha, sooooo true. You need the whole nine yards! :)

Originally posted by RAVEN on Thu 07 Jul, 2016

Is that a YES lol?
#1636 Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2016 2:01 pm
Is that a YES lol?

Originally posted by DanielWilliams on Thu 07 Jul, 2016

Yeppers!! :))
#1637 Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2016 3:33 pm
Haha -- I'm laughing because nobody other than Dani normally listens to anything I say :) But yeah. That makes sense. You gotta write something before you can bring it all together, of course. You might wanna try identifying people that think you might click with, with an artist search, and pm'ing them or just inviting them. We do have a couple of very creative people 'round here somewhere!

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Thu 07 Jul, 2016

Huh, did you say something? :)-
#1638 Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2016 3:33 pm
A message posted Thu 08 Sep, 2016 3:27 pm was deleted by the moderator
1 2 

Forums > Hangout > Did You Know?Page 2 of 2

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up