Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Weird voicemail about "television & film licensing opportunities"

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

Yesterday I got a weird voicemail. Male voice, no identifying info given other than first name "Kate." BUT the phone number checks out as being from Hollywood, CA. So...how can I figure out if this is legit or some sort of scam?? (I'd prefer not to call back without knowing for sure that it's legit.)

Basically the message just said that they had received Alice Minguez's (my) music submission and wanted to talk to me about some TV & film licensing opportunities "they" (whoever "they" is...) are seeking music for. This person gave a number to call back at and said that I could call back Mon-Fri from 10-6 in my time zone.

I don't recall submitting music to anything like this. However, I did recently start testing out some music promotion web services. So I really have no clue what to think. Legit or scam?? Is there anyone out there who is more experienced and might be able to advise?

#3011 Posted Sat 09 Dec, 2017 2:03 pm
Too bad phone booths have gone the way of the dinosaur....Just don't use "yes" and "no" answers & you should be ok..Anyone else get that reference? :)
#3012 Posted Sat 09 Dec, 2017 6:27 pm
Yesterday I got a weird voicemail. Male voice, no identifying info given other than first name "Kate." BUT the phone number checks out as being from Hollywood, CA. So...how can I figure out if this is legit or some sort of scam?? (I'd prefer not to call back without knowing for sure that it's legit.) Basically the message just said that they had received Alice Minguez's (my) music submission and wanted to talk to me about some TV & film licensing opportunities "they" (whoever "they" is...) are seeking music for. This person gave a number to call back at and said that I could call back Mon-Fri from 10-6 in my time zone. I don't recall submitting music to anything like this. However, I did recently start testing out some music promotion web services. So I really have no clue what to think. Legit or scam?? Is there anyone out there who is more experienced and might be able to advise? Thanks :)

Originally posted by AliceMinguez on Sat 09 Dec, 2017

It's probably a response to one of the music promotion web services you contacted if you provided an address or phone number. I would be weary of anyone contacting you without specific details, especially if they request any money up front for their service. ;-)
#3013 Posted Sat 09 Dec, 2017 7:52 pm

Forums > Hangout > Weird voicemail about "television & film licensing opportunities"Page 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up