Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Three Years of Music

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

In September 2015 I taught myself music. At that time I did not know anything. I didn't know what a note was. I didn't know what a DAW was. Expected to last 5 minutes and give up. 

So three years later, having felt like giving up 2 million times and working on it harder than anyone else on the planet - often making scores till 2 or 3 am - I am still to my great surprise still going strong. My bigger picture was always to combine music with computer programming and/or 3D modelling. So I have a few books on programming and will mark 3 years by reading some. 

To everyone who has been construtive over 3 years thank you. To anyone who hasn't been constructive [thinking of other forums that I left because of ad hominem attacks on my ability to make music] , I have hopefully forgotten about them completely. 

Andrew 

#3587 Posted Fri 07 Sep, 2018 5:26 am

In September 2015 I taught myself music. At that time I did not know anything. I didn't know what a note was. I didn't know what a DAW was. Expected to last 5 minutes and give up. 

So three years later, having felt like giving up 2 million times and working on it harder than anyone else on the planet - often making scores till 2 or 3 am - I am still to my great surprise still going strong. My bigger picture was always to combine music with computer programming and/or 3D modelling. So I have a few books on programming and will mark 3 years by reading some. 

To everyone who has been construtive over 3 years thank you. To anyone who hasn't been constructive [thinking of other forums that I left because of ad hominem attacks on my ability to make music] , I have hopefully forgotten about them completely. 

Andrew 

Originally posted by neptunedexperiment on Fri 07 Sep, 2018

Congrats on starting on a life long journey. Here's to another 3 years, and another.. and another...  enjoy!

#3589 Posted Fri 07 Sep, 2018 7:50 am
Thank you! I hope so! I also listen to music very differently from three years ago as well. So it's also about appreciating music made by other people. At the start when I didn't know anything I tried to get a music teacher but got no response. So I taught myself. I also have music to colour and shape synesthesia. I've had that since I can remember.
#3590 Posted Fri 07 Sep, 2018 9:05 am
Thank you! I hope so! I also listen to music very differently from three years ago as well. So it's also about appreciating music made by other people. At the start when I didn't know anything I tried to get a music teacher but got no response. So I taught myself. I also have music to colour and shape synesthesia. I've had that since I can remember.

Originally posted by neptunedexperiment on Fri 07 Sep, 2018

"I also have music to colour and shape synesthesia"

So do I.  More shapes than colors.  Usually the colors are outlines of the shapes. 

#3591 Posted Fri 07 Sep, 2018 1:20 pm
I also have what I call virtual synesthesia; colours and shapes happen from remembering music without listening to it.
#3592 Posted Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:15 pm

Forums > Hangout > Three Years of MusicPage 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up