Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Is this what I can expect from ProCollabs?

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2

I've been getting a lot of emails from ProCollabs about projects, but they're almost exclusively stuff like this:

"Song in the style of "name_an_artist_or_genre", need vocals (male), vocals (female), drums, bass, keys." 

I go to see what it's about, and it's invariably someone who used Fruity Loops or Band In A Box (both great programs, btw, not putting them down) to make a basic track.  No lyrics?  No melody? 

It's like the person who puts out an ad: "I have a FANTASTIC idea for a book.  All you have to do is write it and we'll split the profits 50-50!"

This is not "pro". 

Nor does it usually give a reason for the project.   Something like:
"Hey, I'm recording an album that will be distributed on the indy label "XYZ".  We want to release in month/year and we're planning on doing a promo campaign with "thisagency".  This would be a "work for hire/percentage/guarantee against percentage" deal if we use your track."

or
"I'm pushing this for a TV show that's coming up.  I've met the music supervisor and it will definitely get consideration."

or
"I'm building a portfolio of my work.  I can't pay much, but maybe we can work out a trade because I do web programming/graphics/some damn thing"

Is this an unrealistic expectation on my part?  I've not seen one single project that has any of that information. 

- Russ

#3698 Posted Sun 25 Nov, 2018 12:51 pm
Hey Russ,

The way the emails work is based on the “talent needed” a project owner puts on their project page. So if they put say, “vocals, bass, drums” then everyone who has these talents listed on their own profile pages will get an email saying there is a project looking for these particular talent.

I don’t think what you are saying is really indicative of the activity on ProCollabs, mostly, when there is a new project it will have the initial concept as a foundation which could be a full instrumental overview or a vocal line and lyricsa, and then the project owner will look for collaborators to jump in to bring in talents they are looking for. A lot of times the initial concepts help to spark other members creative thoughts and an amazing track takes shape.

Yes, there are projects where someone is using loops to create a piece of music which is fine by us as we try to encourage all genres, but there is also a wide spectrum of original compositions recorded with a range of instruments. Given ProCollabs has a really eclectic mix of members from owners of fully fledged studios and working musicians right through to members who use as you say “fruity loops” there is always going to be mix of styles and levels.

Maybe try searching the open projects for the space/style/genre/standard you are looking to collaborate in, I’m sure you’ll find something that works for you.

Alternatively, why not load a project of your own, and invite some other members whose style and material appeals to you?
We did have a series of opportunities open to all members of ProCollabs from Producers, TV and Radio Stations, Agents and Producers who were looking for very specific tracks, but we struggled to get much traction or interaction going on them so we stopped doing it, but if there was enough demand we would start it up again.

Hope this offers some answers to the questions you raised and I hope you find some projects to collaborate on that inspire you :-)

Steve
#3699 Posted Sun 25 Nov, 2018 5:20 pm
I've started a project using BIAB just as a concept. My hopes was, as Steve said, to inspire someone to replace the generic track with their talents. I have to admit, it hasn't been a very successful way to do it thus far though.
#3701 Posted Mon 26 Nov, 2018 11:53 am
I appreciate the responses. So far, I have not seen a single project that had an actual melody line. As a lyricist, I would not an issue with writing some lyrics, but to not have a melody is a bit much. You can only copyright two things:
Melody
Lyric

You can also copyright the production, but you need a song to make a production of! Perhaps I just haven't been on the platform long enough, but - again - I've yet to see anything but backing tracks.
#3710 Posted Tue 04 Dec, 2018 6:47 pm
I appreciate the responses. So far, I have not seen a single project that had an actual melody line. As a lyricist, I would not an issue with writing some lyrics, but to not have a melody is a bit much. You can only copyright two things: Melody Lyric You can also copyright the production, but you need a song to make a production of! Perhaps I just haven't been on the platform long enough, but - again - I've yet to see anything but backing tracks.

Originally posted by therealex on Tue 04 Dec, 2018

I guess it depends what you’re looking for and expect from a collaboration site. Personally, I think predominantly what happens is you’ll get either a music track or outline vocals as a starting point and the project holder then looks for others to jump onboard.

What you’re saying is a much more prescriptive requirement, so more: here’s the chord structure and melody can someone write me some lyrics to fit and/or do some vocals. I don’t think that really happens very often here  - not that it is wrong by any means, it’s a great way of writing - just not that common here. It’s feels it’s more like someone writes the music, another person does the lyrics and/or  vocals/melody, or vice-versa :-)

#3714 Posted Wed 05 Dec, 2018 2:45 pm

I've been getting a lot of emails from ProCollabs about projects, but they're almost exclusively stuff like this:

"Song in the style of "name_an_artist_or_genre", need vocals (male), vocals (female), drums, bass, keys." 

I go to see what it's about, and it's invariably someone who used Fruity Loops or Band In A Box (both great programs, btw, not putting them down) to make a basic track.  No lyrics?  No melody? 

It's like the person who puts out an ad: "I have a FANTASTIC idea for a book.  All you have to do is write it and we'll split the profits 50-50!"

This is not "pro". 

Nor does it usually give a reason for the project.   Something like:
"Hey, I'm recording an album that will be distributed on the indy label "XYZ".  We want to release in month/year and we're planning on doing a promo campaign with "thisagency".  This would be a "work for hire/percentage/guarantee against percentage" deal if we use your track."

or
"I'm pushing this for a TV show that's coming up.  I've met the music supervisor and it will definitely get consideration."

or
"I'm building a portfolio of my work.  I can't pay much, but maybe we can work out a trade because I do web programming/graphics/some damn thing"

Is this an unrealistic expectation on my part?  I've not seen one single project that has any of that information. 

- Russ

Originally posted by therealex on Sun 25 Nov, 2018

I wouldn't take it too seriously. I think most people are here just for the fun and musical commeraderie.  :)

#3719 Posted Tue 11 Dec, 2018 11:16 am
Well, it is ProCollabs, so you can see why people would be wanting their music to go somewhere. :) Online collaboration can just be a painfully slow process, so I'm the beginning it should be a hobby so you don't get discouraged and give up. I can't help you with the looping thing; I never use it, so I don't get it. I'm not an instrumentalist either, so I always have to start with the lyric and melody in my head. I never understood that those were two different things until I started collabing. I guess I've never been a straight up lyricist. I thought those were called posts before I got edumacated, ha, ha.
#3720 Posted Tue 11 Dec, 2018 7:57 pm
*in the beginning
*poets
#3721 Posted Tue 11 Dec, 2018 8:01 pm
Some of us are serious... it's about getting people with real jobs and responsibilities having enough time. Hard to get singers...promoting several with lyric/movie soundtracks on youtube and facecrook. Need vocals. As for writing lyrics without melody, I tend to follow separate rhythms to each part. I have a guitarist I work with who can layer 3 or 4 guitar tracks, bassline, some programmed drums, and start wailing. Also likes to play with structure. He sounds great, but hard to follow, so in the really dirty parts, I follow the bass or drums. Just have to train my ear to do it. We usually end up with something I wish I had been able to listen to before I wrote the damn thing! :).
Hope this helps. If not, be sure of one thing: I AM SERIOUS about leaving my monkey job. It's a longshot, but I won't know if I don't give it every spare minute I have. Luckily, I have no life outside of work! :) Gotta start somewhere, my friend.
John
#3722 Posted Tue 11 Dec, 2018 8:34 pm
Having written 100's of songs over the years, an actual melody is not so much needed to write the lyrics. Rap artists do not use much of a melody right? Spoken word is also an example of just getting words to fit in a space without melody. It's about timing and what words could be put into that time signature without forcing them in. It's a lot easier with a melody and lends itself to writing words that have 'the feel'. But a melody is not really needed just to get them to fit into a space. When I see lyric submissions I do wonder what thought process was used to come up with them. I would think that the writer uses the timing to come up with suitable phrasing
#3723 Posted Wed 12 Dec, 2018 12:40 pm
1 2

Forums > Hangout > Is this what I can expect from ProCollabs?Page 1 of 2

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up