Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Help me test Riff Recorder a song writing tool

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 
Hi Paul,

So, I had a play with the App and these are my thoughts.

I think it’s easier to articulate it from my own “personal” perspective, so what I would use (although that doesn’t mean anything other than what I like....).

It feels really comprehensive in terms of “tools” to be able to capture and save “ideas”.

It’s good that you can enter a tempo, if you want to, and get a count in before you start recording. Then when you start recording you can use the metronome to keep time.

If you are being a bit more prescriptive and final about your idea, then I get why you would maybe do this. Or even if you are going to use the recording in your project once you get it into your DAW.

For me, I just want to record the “idea” so it acts as a memory jogger when I play it back. Then I will record it “properly” and start thinking about the nuances, like timings. I’m not bothered about keeping it in time at this point, just in capturing the “riff” or whatever it is. So, I also wouldn’t really use the “metronome grid” or “count in” and would like to be able to switch them off (ie: remove them from the screen).

On that note, that is just me - I just want to press a button and record, and then be able to play it back without saving it first. Without a doubt others will like the more “professional” approach, and the App definitely delivers on that front. For me, I’d quite like a “quick capture” facility, so a simple record “now” button as well as the “all singing and dancing” record.

The ability to save your captured ideas to the cloud is good, and a handy back up.

To summarise, I think it really is pretty comprehensive for someone looking to record something beyond just capturing an idea - it’s almost a mini single track DAW (could be its USP).

For me it feels slightly complicated to just record an idea, but I guess that is the whole point, as it differentiates it from say “voice memos” on the iPhone. That said, I think it definitely has a “place” and I’m sure you’ll get a lot of people using it.

Have to say, well done for developing it, and getting it to Beta, really great job :-)

Hope this helps in some way.

Steve
#3835 Posted Mon 18 Mar, 2019 5:03 pm
Hi Paul, So, I had a play with the App and these are my thoughts. I think it’s easier to articulate it from my own “personal” perspective, so what I would use (although that doesn’t mean anything other than what I like....). It feels really comprehensive in terms of “tools” to be able to capture and save “ideas”. It’s good that you can enter a tempo, if you want to, and get a count in before you start recording. Then when you start recording you can use the metronome to keep time. If you are being a bit more prescriptive and final about your idea, then I get why you would maybe do this. Or even if you are going to use the recording in your project once you get it into your DAW. For me, I just want to record the “idea” so it acts as a memory jogger when I play it back. Then I will record it “properly” and start thinking about the nuances, like timings. I’m not bothered about keeping it in time at this point, just in capturing the “riff” or whatever it is. So, I also wouldn’t really use the “metronome grid” or “count in” and would like to be able to switch them off (ie: remove them from the screen). On that note, that is just me - I just want to press a button and record, and then be able to play it back without saving it first. Without a doubt others will like the more “professional” approach, and the App definitely delivers on that front. For me, I’d quite like a “quick capture” facility, so a simple record “now” button as well as the “all singing and dancing” record. The ability to save your captured ideas to the cloud is good, and a handy back up. To summarise, I think it really is pretty comprehensive for someone looking to record something beyond just capturing an idea - it’s almost a mini single track DAW (could be its USP). For me it feels slightly complicated to just record an idea, but I guess that is the whole point, as it differentiates it from say “voice memos” on the iPhone. That said, I think it definitely has a “place” and I’m sure you’ll get a lot of people using it. Have to say, well done for developing it, and getting it to Beta, really great job :-) Hope this helps in some way. Steve

Originally posted by Vuya on Mon 18 Mar, 2019

Great feedback, that's very helpful.  Some follow up questions:

1. Do you think you would use my app instead of what ever current method you use?  If you would continue to use your  current method, what is that?  Would an option to turn off the metronome entirely or other changes make a difference?
  2. Saving to the cloud is also suppose to make it easier to access your recordings later.  Also the app provides structure around saving the files  so it's not just a big list of recordings.  Do you feel that either one of these are valuable for your use case?  Does your current method of saving ideas do a good enough job?

Thanks - Paul

#3836 Posted Wed 20 Mar, 2019 9:52 am

Great feedback, that's very helpful.  Some follow up questions:

1. Do you think you would use my app instead of what ever current method you use?  If you would continue to use your  current method, what is that?  Would an option to turn off the metronome entirely or other changes make a difference?
  2. Saving to the cloud is also suppose to make it easier to access your recordings later.  Also the app provides structure around saving the files  so it's not just a big list of recordings.  Do you feel that either one of these are valuable for your use case?  Does your current method of saving ideas do a good enough job?

Thanks - Paul

Originally posted by paulelong on Wed 20 Mar, 2019

Hi Paul,

Do you think you would use my app instead of what ever current method you use?  If you would continue to use your  current method, what is that?  Would an option to turn off the metronome entirely or other changes make a difference?

At the moment I just use Voice Memo's on my iPhone to capture any "ideas" I have, so I either sing, hum something that is in my mind, or if I have a guitar to hand I play it, so it is just enough to capture the idea. To be honest, I don't name them, so I have a long list of default memo's! Some of them I then build on and take forward and some are just left as "ideas". That's really why I don't want anything else to get in the way, I like that I can hit record and it just records. I think the option of being able to switch off the metronome would make it more appealing for me, so a "quick record", and one of the reasons for that, is if something comes along, say while your are out and about, and you just want to get it down quickly, you don't want to be messing around having to set it all up.

Saving to the cloud is also suppose to make it easier to access your recordings later.  Also the app provides structure around saving the files  so it's not just a big list of recordings.  Do you feel that either one of these are valuable for your use case?  Does your current method of saving ideas do a good enough job?

Saving to the cloud is a great idea, and something I could benefit from, I'm very random in my approach as I mentioned above. Strangly, I quite like trawling through the back catalogue of ideas and being "suprised" by some of them, as in "oh, that's a great riff, I'd forgotten about that". I don't think naming them will make any difference to that and I'd probably just call it something like "Riff #23". But, it would definitely be better to have some structure in place.

So, does my current way work - yes. Would I use your App, yes if there was a simple version - but as I said before we are all different and work in so many different ways and having options will go some way to letting users determine how they want to work.

Be interesting to see if anyone else has a perspective on this?

Steve

#3837 Posted Thu 21 Mar, 2019 8:21 am

Hi Paul,

Do you think you would use my app instead of what ever current method you use?  If you would continue to use your  current method, what is that?  Would an option to turn off the metronome entirely or other changes make a difference?

At the moment I just use Voice Memo's on my iPhone to capture any "ideas" I have, so I either sing, hum something that is in my mind, or if I have a guitar to hand I play it, so it is just enough to capture the idea. To be honest, I don't name them, so I have a long list of default memo's! Some of them I then build on and take forward and some are just left as "ideas". That's really why I don't want anything else to get in the way, I like that I can hit record and it just records. I think the option of being able to switch off the metronome would make it more appealing for me, so a "quick record", and one of the reasons for that, is if something comes along, say while your are out and about, and you just want to get it down quickly, you don't want to be messing around having to set it all up.

Saving to the cloud is also suppose to make it easier to access your recordings later.  Also the app provides structure around saving the files  so it's not just a big list of recordings.  Do you feel that either one of these are valuable for your use case?  Does your current method of saving ideas do a good enough job?

Saving to the cloud is a great idea, and something I could benefit from, I'm very random in my approach as I mentioned above. Strangly, I quite like trawling through the back catalogue of ideas and being "suprised" by some of them, as in "oh, that's a great riff, I'd forgotten about that". I don't think naming them will make any difference to that and I'd probably just call it something like "Riff #23". But, it would definitely be better to have some structure in place.

So, does my current way work - yes. Would I use your App, yes if there was a simple version - but as I said before we are all different and work in so many different ways and having options will go some way to letting users determine how they want to work.

Be interesting to see if anyone else has a perspective on this?

Steve

Originally posted by Vuya on Thu 21 Mar, 2019

That's good insight about the metronome getting in the way.  I was thinking that turning off the click was enough, but I see how the flashing could be annoying.  I'll think about an option, as it might not be hard to add a little UI.  Really appreicate the input.

Would love to hear from others.  In fact, feel free to forward the link around to anybody who might be interested in trying the tool.

Paul

#3839 Posted Fri 22 Mar, 2019 10:02 am
1 2 

Forums > Hangout > Help me test Riff Recorder a song writing toolPage 2 of 2

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up