Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Synthwave / Futurewave / Retrowave

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Willoughby

Originally posted by Astronut on Sat 09 May, 2020

Sounds like an upmarket English tailors :-)

Great synth track Kevin, it wouldn't be out of place on an episode of Dr Who :-)

#4151 Posted Sun 10 May, 2020 5:37 am

Sounds like an upmarket English tailors :-)

Great synth track Kevin, it wouldn't be out of place on an episode of Dr Who :-)

Originally posted by Vuya on Sun 10 May, 2020

It DOES sound like that sort of place, doesn't it? :D

Dr. Who, you say? :D Oof. :D I may need to step up my game! haha!

#4153 Posted Sun 10 May, 2020 7:42 am

I normally catch them in a mole trap, but some were found behind a dumpster in a little town called Willoughby (don't visit via train!). A few have been gifted to me by a Priest with two wooden legs. Wait, you were talking about synthesizer sounds, right?!? Sorry, sorry...

I own a Behringer Model D. I also purchased the full Arturia keys package for half-price last year (still a lot of money for a drummer to shell out!). I have a few freebies in Kontakt as well as antiquated vsts and other junk laying around. I think the trick is to try to make the mess I create work together, which isn't always an easy task. I hope to purchase a Behringer Pro-One some day. <3 People get mad about Behringer, but I am not a rich man that can shell out tens of thousands for vintage synths (drool). :D Hope you are doing well, sir!

Originally posted by Astronut on Sat 09 May, 2020

Where's Willoughby? They say somewhere between Stamford and Westport... though I have never been there. ;-) 

Thanks for the info, Kev. I use the direct sounds from a Roland Juno but have been thinking about moving to vsts.  

#4155 Posted Sun 10 May, 2020 11:12 am

Where's Willoughby? They say somewhere between Stamford and Westport... though I have never been there. ;-) 

Thanks for the info, Kev. I use the direct sounds from a Roland Juno but have been thinking about moving to vsts.  

Originally posted by DrewRoss on Sun 10 May, 2020

Wait, you have a Juno?

#4156 Posted Sun 10 May, 2020 11:24 am

Wait, you have a Juno?

Originally posted by Astronut on Sun 10 May, 2020

A newer Juno-Di

#4157 Posted Sun 10 May, 2020 11:25 am

A newer Juno-Di

That's still a Juno. <3 As far as vst/plugins go, I picked up the Arturia V-Collection 7 & a Keylab MkII as a controller. It works incredibly well with the Arturia plugins and others too. Assigning various midi controls to the Arturia sliders, buttons, and knobs is easy. There are other MIDI controllers that do the same thing. Some come with pads (like mine) that you can use to play drum kits (or keys) on. You may have already seen this. The bottom line is having a controller that will take over functions of knob-twirling. Having to adjust everything on a vst synth with a mouse is slow and irritating, and absolutely bottlenecks the workflow. Possible, sure, but not worth it if you can avoid it. That's the plus side of having the actual hardware or a quality MIDI controller. If you make the plunge, do yourself a favor and research the MIDI controller options. Some of them also can control your DAW functions like volume faders, stop, start, record, etc. It's great to have that capability without having to purchase an incredibly expensive console. Hope this is helpful. :)

#4158 Posted Sun 10 May, 2020 11:35 am

That's still a Juno. <3 As far as vst/plugins go, I picked up the Arturia V-Collection 7 & a Keylab MkII as a controller. It works incredibly well with the Arturia plugins and others too. Assigning various midi controls to the Arturia sliders, buttons, and knobs is easy. There are other MIDI controllers that do the same thing. Some come with pads (like mine) that you can use to play drum kits (or keys) on. You may have already seen this. The bottom line is having a controller that will take over functions of knob-twirling. Having to adjust everything on a vst synth with a mouse is slow and irritating, and absolutely bottlenecks the workflow. Possible, sure, but not worth it if you can avoid it. That's the plus side of having the actual hardware or a quality MIDI controller. If you make the plunge, do yourself a favor and research the MIDI controller options. Some of them also can control your DAW functions like volume faders, stop, start, record, etc. It's great to have that capability without having to purchase an incredibly expensive console. Hope this is helpful. :)

Originally posted by Astronut on Sun 10 May, 2020

Yeah, The Di has been great for flushing out quick ideas but it takes some time to dial in the really good sounds. Thanks for this wealth of info! It is very helpful! I will look at the Arturia collection and the controller. I won't lie, it all is a bit intimidating to me as I am new to most of this vst stuff.  I have kept my setup really simple thus far to not interupt the creative process, but  it may be time to take a dive into the deep end! ;-)

#4159 Posted Sun 10 May, 2020 1:27 pm

Yeah, The Di has been great for flushing out quick ideas but it takes some time to dial in the really good sounds. Thanks for this wealth of info! It is very helpful! I will look at the Arturia collection and the controller. I won't lie, it all is a bit intimidating to me as I am new to most of this vst stuff.  I have kept my setup really simple thus far to not interupt the creative process, but  it may be time to take a dive into the deep end! ;-)

"I have kept my setup really simple thus far to not interupt the creative process"

This is imperative, isn't it? You shouldn't have any problems with the VST stuff as long as you have a relatively powerful computer. The MIDI controller keyboard will be similar to a regular synth, only they generate no sounds of their own. The VSTs aren't that complicated to use. You instantiate the VST into an instrument track that receives MIDI signals from your controller keyboard. Which DAW are you using? Let me know if you take the plunge. Maybe we can set up a video conference and walk you through a few basics to get you started. :)

#4162 Posted Mon 11 May, 2020 8:22 am

"I have kept my setup really simple thus far to not interupt the creative process"

This is imperative, isn't it? You shouldn't have any problems with the VST stuff as long as you have a relatively powerful computer. The MIDI controller keyboard will be similar to a regular synth, only they generate no sounds of their own. The VSTs aren't that complicated to use. You instantiate the VST into an instrument track that receives MIDI signals from your controller keyboard. Which DAW are you using? Let me know if you take the plunge. Maybe we can set up a video conference and walk you through a few basics to get you started. :)

Originally posted by Astronut on Mon 11 May, 2020

Thanks Kev, I will definately let you know and I appreciate the help! At the moment I am using Reaper with a basic Dell Inspiron desktop and a Line 6 UX2.  My PC is probably due for an upgrade soon. I need to look into it further, but I might be able to use my Juno-Di as a midi controller temporarily, but I would prefer that MK! ;-)

#4163 Posted Mon 11 May, 2020 11:52 pm

Thanks Kev, I will definately let you know and I appreciate the help! At the moment I am using Reaper with a basic Dell Inspiron desktop and a Line 6 UX2.  My PC is probably due for an upgrade soon. I need to look into it further, but I might be able to use my Juno-Di as a midi controller temporarily, but I would prefer that MK! ;-)

Originally posted by DrewRoss on Mon 11 May, 2020

If you can spring for the 88 key version, that's what I would do. :D No need to keep changing octaves via buttons or software. Weighted keys, the lot. It's impressive. They released it after I had already bought the 61 key.  D'oh!

#4165 Posted Wed 13 May, 2020 10:53 am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Forums > Hangout > Synthwave / Futurewave / RetrowavePage 2 of 8

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up