Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Is this a good idea?

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

Howdy, first off I  am new here but I'm really enjoying the site. It truly is like a candy store. I collaborated on one tune so far and it was a blast.

Now my questions. Do you think it's a good idea to post up a project file of a complete song  demo in hopes of attracting someone who might be interested in purchasing the song.  Is this an acceptable practice on Procollabs? Is Procollabs a good site for this or would doing this here just be another message in a bottle?

Any input would be appreciated.

SteveO

#4630 Posted Fri 29 Oct, 2021 1:27 pm

Howdy, first off I  am new here but I'm really enjoying the site. It truly is like a candy store. I collaborated on one tune so far and it was a blast.

Now my questions. Do you think it's a good idea to post up a project file of a complete song  demo in hopes of attracting someone who might be interested in purchasing the song.  Is this an acceptable practice on Procollabs? Is Procollabs a good site for this or would doing this here just be another message in a bottle?

SteveO

Originally posted by SteveO on Fri 29 Oct, 2021

Hey, SteveO. Glad you're enjoying the site!

That's a great question. I think it is the first of its kind around here laughing

I can say that the practice is fine, no issues with that at all. In fact, it would be amazing to see it happen around here. But that said, ProCollabs hasn't really been setup to cater for that kind of thing, so you may not get much mileage.. so yeah, likely another message in a bottle scenario. 

Also, starting a project to do this might throw things off a little. If members go to open projects, they are looking for collaborate (or be hired). So it wouldn't be cool to have lots of open projects that are just sales pitches, if you know what I mean. 

I think the best place to post something like this might just be in the forum itself. It's also possible to post a song in your own personal library, where others can find it. Maybe that, and a link from a forum post to the item in your library. Not ideal I know. But certainly a future development idea for the site I think.

Not sure you have much of a market on the site for purchasing songs either, but I could be wrong about that?! Be great to hear from others on this. 

Hope that helps some..

Cheers

Lee

#4631 Posted Fri 29 Oct, 2021 1:40 pm
Thanks, Lee. I was curious about this because I see a lot of members that are in production that are looking for songs/artists.
#4632 Posted Fri 29 Oct, 2021 1:56 pm

SteveO

Originally posted by SteveO on Fri 29 Oct, 2021

Hi Steve!  :)

Actually, there is a way to be able to sell your 'already completed' demos/songs. 

You could start a project (just make it private) and upload your demo/song as an mp3 - fill in all the info, i.e title/description/credits/copyright, etc.   In the description you could write something like, "This demo is for sale, if interested please contact me at blahblah.com" - or "This is just a demo, if interested in the completed song, please contact me at blahblah.com". 

Then you can complete the song and put it in the Music Store.   Once it is there, make sure to check  the watermark option, and choose whatever other options you want.  Since it would be a demo and have a watermark, you won't have to worry about someone coming along and snagging it.  If someone hears the demo, and is interested in purchasing the high quality version - they can contact you and you can negotiate a price, etc. 

Another option would be to actually upload the high quality wav of the song, then put whatever price you think the song is worth.  So let's say you make the price $35.00 - then choose your license option, let's say CC Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International - or whichever one you want.  I would also recommend using the watermark option, as a protection method.

Hope that helps - we don't get too many sales on ProCollabs, but heck, ya never know unless you try!  :))

#4634 Posted Fri 29 Oct, 2021 11:13 pm

Hi Steve!  :)

Actually, there is a way to be able to sell your 'already completed' demos/songs. 

You could start a project (just make it private) and upload your demo/song as an mp3 - fill in all the info, i.e title/description/credits/copyright, etc.   In the description you could write something like, "This demo is for sale, if interested please contact me at blahblah.com" - or "This is just a demo, if interested in the completed song, please contact me at blahblah.com". 

Then you can complete the song and put it in the Music Store.   Once it is there, make sure to check  the watermark option, and choose whatever other options you want.  Since it would be a demo and have a watermark, you won't have to worry about someone coming along and snagging it.  If someone hears the demo, and is interested in purchasing the high quality version - they can contact you and you can negotiate a price, etc. 

Another option would be to actually upload the high quality wav of the song, then put whatever price you think the song is worth.  So let's say you make the price $35.00 - then choose your license option, let's say CC Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International - or whichever one you want.  I would also recommend using the watermark option, as a protection method.

Hope that helps - we don't get too many sales on ProCollabs, but heck, ya never know unless you try!  :))

Originally posted by RAVEN on Fri 29 Oct, 2021

Thanks, Raven

I will check out those options. I don't have plans to do anything else to this particular demo becuase it's high quality for a songwriting pitch.

I just realized that you're an admin. I know what that's like. Cheers [_]D

#4635 Posted Fri 29 Oct, 2021 11:47 pm

Forums > Hangout > Is this a good idea?Page 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up