Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > FunCollabs

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

*Unpopular Opinion Time*

After much research (scrolled maybe 20 times) and despite my own preconcived thoughts, it can be said, that us, here, as a collective, are here prodomanantly for FUN (after the 9-5 graft is done and making music sounds more inviting then making dinner). Which completely negates from the word PRO (professional), as used in the Title. 

Yeh thats about that.

//DISCLAIMER//   This is not actually my opinion, however fact or statiscally proven, after researching how many projects are truley looking for Talent to Hire verses Royalty shares 

#4956 Posted Tue 11 Oct, 2022 1:07 am

*Unpopular Opinion Time*

After much research (scrolled maybe 20 times) and despite my own preconcived thoughts, it can be said, that us, here, as a collective, are here prodomanantly for FUN (after the 9-5 graft is done and making music sounds more inviting then making dinner). Which completely negates from the word PRO (professional), as used in the Title. 

Yeh thats about that.

//DISCLAIMER//   This is not actually my opinion, however fact or statiscally proven, after researching how many projects are truley looking for Talent to Hire verses Royalty shares 

Originally posted by DearDavidJohn on Tue 11 Oct, 2022

You're absolutely correct.  But let me give you a little history about why we originally started ProCollabs.  

Our intention was to have a space for professional musicians to come together and create music, emphasizing work-for-hire projects.  Hence, one of the main reasons why we implemented the whole 'screening' process. Well, that and to ward off Spam accounts.

We soon realized that the majority of people who were joining, just wanted to create music for fun. And that is perfectly okay with us. 

Yeah, we have pondered changing the name of the site, but the fact is, members can still create work-for-hire projects - and outside sources (producers, engineers, etc) can join the site and hire our members as well. So the option is available to those who choose to utilize it.

I'll tell ya, we have had a lot of work-for-hire projects that have been very successful - as well as some that went completely void because no one decided to hop aboard, which you'd think is a bit crazy, since money is being offered.

A few years back, we offered professional music opportunities for our members. Members could submit their original music, based on a project brief that was given by music directors, for movies & commercials, etc. We paid out of pocket for those, and we were lucky if we got a handful of members who were submitting their music. Of course it wasn't a guarantee that their music would be chosen, but it was still an opportunity to get their music heard by music directors and such. We eventually stopped doing it because no one was showing interest.

So, all in all - yeah, ProCollabs is predominately just a place to create music for fun, leisure or just a way to unwind at the end of a long day. :)

#4957 Posted Tue 11 Oct, 2022 2:00 am
By the way, I really do like the name FunCollabs. :)
#4958 Posted Tue 11 Oct, 2022 2:02 am

*Unpopular Opinion Time*

Yeh thats about that.

Originally posted by DearDavidJohn on Tue 11 Oct, 2022

I took a quick sample of published songs, (10). 8 were for sale, 2 were free. Projects at PC even when done for fun usually end up with a division of copyright from sales when published. The project format here is quite flexible in the agreements between collaborators and covers professional type agreements of more than one type.

So whilst not many are looking for paid perfomance on the front end, the majority are, on the back end of the deal. Being professional doesn't have to exclude fun, after all isn't that why we do music anyway?

It's an interesting observation you make, not sure I agree with youir conclusion though.

#4959 Posted Tue 11 Oct, 2022 4:13 am
David, have you ever tried using a dating site? :-)
#4960 Posted Tue 11 Oct, 2022 9:32 am

I took a quick sample of published songs, (10). 8 were for sale, 2 were free. Projects at PC even when done for fun usually end up with a division of copyright from sales when published. The project format here is quite flexible in the agreements between collaborators and covers professional type agreements of more than one type.

So whilst not many are looking for paid perfomance on the front end, the majority are, on the back end of the deal. Being professional doesn't have to exclude fun, after all isn't that why we do music anyway?

It's an interesting observation you make, not sure I agree with youir conclusion though.

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Tue 11 Oct, 2022

GOODVIBES! You are exactly what your handle is ... Goodvibes. By "professional" im refering to its foundational meaning of "creating revenue from that specific trade"  I ,must say thats a very positive outlook you have. Especially with the Royalty Share concept. But I am afraid it will not pay the bills my friend. The numbers one needs to pull in streaming alone ( I have a mutitude of current RS's) is HUGE. The hope is that maybe one song kicks of so hard it gets picked up by a solid label. But that also in this day and age (labels hardly ever offer a Production Deals anymore simply due to costs) not very lucrative unles they reach is so wide that selling your sould for a Distribution deal makes sense. I guess what I am saying is what we all know. Royalty Shares are a great gesture of goodwill and a show of commitment. AND thats about where it stays. So again I come around to the same conclusion. 

This is by no means a dig at this site or community. Ive made 3 really cool music buddies so far, and busy on a third project in the space of 7 weeks..or less actually.  So for pure fun collabs, its a great starting point to what could lead to a bigger picture. Im just pointing out that .... well take for example the header box in the "lounge section" that states "Talent for Hire" yet I think I found 4 talent for hires and boy did I scroll so much my mouse lost 2 pounds... I find that misleading and whilst I will gladly pay my "however" many dollars again to get certain benefits and enjoy the comradery, I do belive small elements like that can/do leave me a lil soured. 

ALSO Goodvibes I really appreciate they way you handle this kind of conversation. It blatantly clear your a solid, good guy. So respect for that. 

#4961 Posted Wed 12 Oct, 2022 9:09 am
David, have you ever tried using a dating site? :-)

Originally posted by SteveO on Tue 11 Oct, 2022

Dont play koi with me Stevie..that how we met remember :) lol

#4962 Posted Wed 12 Oct, 2022 9:10 am

You're absolutely correct.  But let me give you a little history about why we originally started ProCollabs.  

Our intention was to have a space for professional musicians to come together and create music, emphasizing work-for-hire projects.  Hence, one of the main reasons why we implemented the whole 'screening' process. Well, that and to ward off Spam accounts.

We soon realized that the majority of people who were joining, just wanted to create music for fun. And that is perfectly okay with us. 

Yeah, we have pondered changing the name of the site, but the fact is, members can still create work-for-hire projects - and outside sources (producers, engineers, etc) can join the site and hire our members as well. So the option is available to those who choose to utilize it.

I'll tell ya, we have had a lot of work-for-hire projects that have been very successful - as well as some that went completely void because no one decided to hop aboard, which you'd think is a bit crazy, since money is being offered.

A few years back, we offered professional music opportunities for our members. Members could submit their original music, based on a project brief that was given by music directors, for movies & commercials, etc. We paid out of pocket for those, and we were lucky if we got a handful of members who were submitting their music. Of course it wasn't a guarantee that their music would be chosen, but it was still an opportunity to get their music heard by music directors and such. We eventually stopped doing it because no one was showing interest.

So, all in all - yeah, ProCollabs is predominately just a place to create music for fun, leisure or just a way to unwind at the end of a long day. :)

Originally posted by RAVEN on Tue 11 Oct, 2022

I do apprecaite this response. Now thats theres context it makes sense as to why I was a lil misleaded. however..I still was. If you know what I mean. 

The effort you have put into the backend of this site is phenomanal and its rather sad its not popping at the seams with work oppurtunities. 

Also about the submission of project and it not beng bought into. What a dam shame! Not to divulge to much but wher I live I actually am NOT able to do anything else besides work from home. Its just not safe otherwise even going to the small corner cafe can feel like a mad dash game of survival.  And with my skillset (or lack of) What pays my bills is my singing and graphic art. I would of eaten that program up for Breakfast! 

If any oppurtunities like that come around or if you have any leads come your way, I would love to be considered. 

Anyway , Thanks for all that yall round here.

Stay Creative. Stay Aware

#4963 Posted Wed 12 Oct, 2022 9:19 am

Dont play koi with me Stevie..that how we met remember :) lol

Originally posted by DearDavidJohn on Wed 12 Oct, 2022

Everyone on the dating sites claim they are there for fun but a lot of them are Pros. tongue-out

#4964 Posted Wed 12 Oct, 2022 9:48 am
40yrs ago, a'hem, my parents told me, in no uncertain terms, they wouldn't have anything to do with supporting a "starving artist"... and THEY both taught ME how to PLAY guitar!
LOL... Just sayin' :)
#4967 Posted Sun 16 Oct, 2022 1:53 am

Forums > Hangout > FunCollabsPage 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up