Music Forums

Forums > Legal > We've been hijacked! :(

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 

Hi Ryan,

Sorry you are going through this and for being late to comment on this thread. Just got our power restored after tropical storm Isaias. ;-(

As you probably know... I went through this on another collaboration site some time ago. Here are some suggestions you may want to try:

Have you tried contacting this person directly? When this happened to me, I made contact with the individual, issued a cease and desist letter and also politely asked him to run a reverse release. Though I never received a reply from this person, they did reverse the release which took care of the majority of the websites the songs were posted on. This will save you a whole lot of time if successful. Regarding adding watermarks to your songs... I don't think this will work. It may be a deterent, but not a soultion. I noticed he released the song Zombie we collaborated on that I'm the administrator on. I don't have a watermark on that one and it's a paid download. More than likely he just paid for it and released it anyways. One final suggestion for you moving forward is to maybe release as much of your music library as you can. Once your music is published by you on the major pay sites it will make it difficult for others to publish those same recordings a second time without major problems.

I hope this helps! :-)

Originally posted by DrewRoss on Tue 11 Aug, 2020

Thanks, Drew. I'm sorry you had a similar experience, but I appreciate your suggestions. I just sent him a cease and desist via Facebook Messenger. I also requested a "reverse release." Hopefully, he gets the message and realizes this is no joke. I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of this eventually, but I would prefer not to get lawyers and law enforcement involved.

#4304 Posted Tue 11 Aug, 2020 4:30 pm
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a reverse release for an album?
#4305 Posted Wed 12 Aug, 2020 3:06 pm
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a reverse release for an album?

Originally posted by SandmanNK on Wed 12 Aug, 2020

Hi Jeff, A reverse release is basicly just a take down request usually issued by the publisher or artist. For example... If you used CD Baby to release your music to iTunes, Spotify and the like, you can then ask that same company to take down the music on some or all of those sites all at once rather than contacting each company individually.  

#4306 Posted Wed 12 Aug, 2020 3:52 pm
Good info, thanks Drew!
#4307 Posted Wed 12 Aug, 2020 4:21 pm
1 2 3 

Forums > Legal > We've been hijacked! :(Page 3 of 3

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up