Music Forums

Forums > Audio Engineering, Mixing and Mastering > Let's talk mix theories

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

I figured I'd start a new topic just for conversations all about the how, why, where and whatever of mixing. Here's a little tis bit of info from another web mag I subscribe ro.
http://www.thevintagemusician.com/the-little-mix-that-could/
#1753 Posted Fri 22 Jul, 2016 2:28 pm
Great topic! I am very new to mixing (about 1 yr) and the thing I am finding out is that my setup is hamstringing my mix from the very start. Ignorance, I've come to find out, is not bliss by any means. First of all, I am set up in my bedroom and the only place I can fit is in a corner - oops! I was wondering why I couldn't get bass right. I didn't know that bass likes to travel around the walls and collect in the corners. My room was tricking me into thinking I had the right amount of bass only to find out that my actual mix had way too little - my room was providing too much bass. I don't have any acoustic treatments yet (my wife doesn't want "that junk" on her walls in the desert. You can't clean the dust off of them...lol. Also, I really need to set up with my workstation centered on a wall and the monitors set up in the right place....learning to mix is hard enough without having a bad set up make things almost impossible to start with. I watched a couple of videos on youtube from a show called "Studio Rescue" that pointed out some of the stuff I mentioned. I will put the link below. Anyway, thanks tomic for starting the thread. Hopefully others will chime in - I've got a lot to learn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02qpJt0hsL0

tony
#1756 Posted Sun 24 Jul, 2016 11:22 pm
Hi Tony,
You don't have to buy all that foam isolation if you're just a little bit handy. Yes, it would be best to be away from the wall and in the center instead of the corner, but (isn't three always a butt) if you can build a picture frame, let's say around the size of a big painting and then use stretched fabric, dense or thin depending on your preference, you have just completed a very hi-tech piece of sound-ware. That's the quick and murkey of it.

Basically get a hold of a bunch of 1" by 2" pieces of wood. Then find some nice looking fabric that you and your gal won't mind looking at. Take the fabric and tightly cover the rectangular shaped frame ( usually they are 2 foot wide and 4 to 8 foot long, hell it's your design) use a heavy duty staple gun and pin the fabric neatly around the frame enclosing almost dead air in the space between. There you go. This is a similar hi-end finished product: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LondonTrapBg It's not perfect but it will help to deaden reflective surfaces and keep you close to a more realistic room. Now the high end takes a bit more effort. Basically you could use decent and inexpensive materials to build some refractors for the highs. Think modern art made of plastic, wood or something similar. As long as you make 4' by 4' sheets with very different depths, you're in. Here is one made of all wood, http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PSSC22

I helped build a major N.Y. studio where we built all the sound treatment ourselves. Check check out some other designs and I'm sure you'll be able to find pleasant looking treatment that you can build and will make your room or bedroom look and sound acceptable to all.
Anything can be made out of alternative coverings, rugs for dark or plastic or glass for more reflective surfaces, etc....
You can send me a pm and I would be glad to try to help you find something better suited for you needs that you can build or buy cheaply.

T
#1757 Posted Mon 25 Jul, 2016 2:08 pm
Thanks! I will have to check that out.
#1764 Posted Tue 26 Jul, 2016 8:09 pm
#2188 Posted Fri 07 Apr, 2017 3:27 am

Forums > Audio Engineering, Mixing and Mastering > Let's talk mix theoriesPage 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up