Music Forums

Forums > Vocals > Hear Yourself

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4
That was 11? Pfft.... Only pansies play at 11.................. :)
#2711 Posted Fri 11 Aug, 2017 1:45 pm
Interesting....I always go EQ then compression. Why do you do it that way? Just curious 'cause I'm fairly new at mixing.

Originally posted by tpistilli on Fri 11 Aug, 2017

The order of your effects isn't a given for every instance you use them but there is a reason for each order you choose to use. So if you use EQ after the compression the frequencies you boost will not be affected by compression and this will give a different sound to that if you boosted before the compression. I'd suggest you try it out and see which one you like better each time. If you boost into the compression you'll obviously squash those frequencies more than the surrounding ones, this will give a different result to boosting after.

There are no absolutes here, just try it and see which one works for you. The main thing to remember is not to print with too much of anything, be subtle but make the vocal take easier to produce.
#2712 Posted Fri 11 Aug, 2017 6:48 pm
I'm by no means a pro when it comes to recording anything. I basically wing it every single time. I do have one observation and I can't really explain why. When I record vocals, my best vocals are with absolutely no effects in the chain upon recording and using headphones only on one ear. I suppose this is because I can hear the vocal in it's truest form and in real time and make the micro adjustments in the pitch and time as needed. It's a little weird doing it like this because at that point your vocal is so dry and does not fit the acoustics of the other instruments. It's easier to control your voice like this if you get used to hearing your self sing accapella in one ear

Originally posted by V1CTOR on Fri 11 Aug, 2017

I've heard this is a good method for some singers who aren't comfortable with headphones, there are some other methods recording with no headphones that can produce great results too. It's all a matter of finding what makes you comfortable to perform, after all that's the goal, to capture a performance.
#2713 Posted Fri 11 Aug, 2017 6:54 pm
Hahaha.......... and there is a prescribed order of volume: Lead guitarist 11, everyone else 7 or 8 :) And given I think it is my track where I am playing at 11, that started this post, I rest my case......... And so endeth todays sermon ;-)

Originally posted by Vuya on Fri 11 Aug, 2017

Now it's all clear.................................Marshall clear :)
#2714 Posted Fri 11 Aug, 2017 6:55 pm
Good points GV! For example.... I have compression built into the mic lines of my mixer. Then I bus that out to a multi-effect unit that incorporates a limiter at the end which levels everything out quite nicely. So, whether I whisper or scream, everything's at the same volume... Once that reaches my DAW all I have to do is Eq :)
#2715 Posted Fri 11 Aug, 2017 8:44 pm
VUYA, I hope I'm not coming across as crass or condescending here.... You know how, after hours of listening to the same track over and over, you kinda' reach a saturation point..... and you essentially train your ears to hear what you want to hear instead of what's actually there? I only started this thread because I needed to get out of my own head lol, and I knew many here would be able to relate. It's all just rhythmic noise in good fun man! :)
#2719 Posted Sat 12 Aug, 2017 10:12 am
I've heard this is a good method for some singers who aren't comfortable with headphones, there are some other methods recording with no headphones that can produce great results too. It's all a matter of finding what makes you comfortable to perform, after all that's the goal, to capture a performance.

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Fri 11 Aug, 2017

How do you record without headphones ? Does it not bleed big time?
#2739 Posted Mon 14 Aug, 2017 9:28 am
When I record, I take one headphone off so I can hear myself. I don't use the technique where you can hear your voice through the headphones, I disabled that setting because it drives me batty.

When I used to record in the studio I was forced to use that method and I hated it, but I had no choice. So now when I record at home, all I hear is the music through the headphones and that works fine for me.
#2742 Posted Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:30 am
I just had another thought.... sorry lol :) For me songwriting is all about the lyrics and how to sing them. So usually I'm just singing to a rhythm guitar and a metronome, which is real easy to hear. Then of course I add tracks to compliment and rhythmically off-set the melody. So perhaps what I'm learning now is how difficult it can be to throw lyrics at someone's completed mix when there's not really a defined melody in mind..... which of course is my shortcoming. Not to mention my voice :)
#2744 Posted Mon 14 Aug, 2017 6:06 pm
How do you record without headphones ? Does it not bleed big time?

Originally posted by V1CTOR on Mon 14 Aug, 2017

#2747 Posted Tue 15 Aug, 2017 8:36 am
1 2 3 4

Forums > Vocals > Hear YourselfPage 3 of 4

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up