Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > 20 Worst Indie Artist Mistakes

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4
Hmmm :) I know several people just around my hometown that literally can hear anything and immediately start playing it or singing it in real time pitch on. Must be something in the polluted river. But...none of them can do what I do. (work on old cars lol)

Originally posted by MarkAlanDooley on Mon 18 Jul, 2016

I can play along to stuff, but I break old cars. I'm fairly good with lawnmowers.
#1731 Posted Mon 18 Jul, 2016 5:18 pm
Re why we do this: we should. Many years ago I wrote to the Melody Maker (big UK music paper) moaning that all the articles were about the business of music, the ripoffs of music and so on, and why weren't any of the interviewees saying how they enjoyed playing music. I won a record token and spent it on "Weird Scenes inside the Goldmine". (Cool choice, eh?)
#1732 Posted Mon 18 Jul, 2016 5:22 pm
I remember many years ago being approached by a doctor/lawyer? at a gig. He said "I'd give my left nut to be able to play the guitar like you do". Pretty extreme, but echoes the sentiment I've heard over the years from non-creative types. I have learned to cope with the curse/blessing of it and count myself fortunate to be able to express music in my own way. Lots of folks wish they could do what we do. To them it seems magical, to us...just another day exploring the woods.
#1733 Posted Mon 18 Jul, 2016 10:28 pm
Must be been a Doctor, Lawyers don't have nuts :)
#1734 Posted Tue 19 Jul, 2016 2:52 am
I remember many years ago being approached by a doctor/lawyer? at a gig. He said "I'd give my left nut to be able to play the guitar like you do". Pretty extreme, but echoes the sentiment I've heard over the years from non-creative types. I have learned to cope with the curse/blessing of it and count myself fortunate to be able to express music in my own way. Lots of folks wish they could do what we do. To them it seems magical, to us...just another day exploring the woods.

Originally posted by MarkAlanDooley on Mon 18 Jul, 2016

I can't not do it. Like Frank said: Music is the best. I love drawing and taking photos, but nothing beats playing the guitar for me.
#1735 Posted Tue 19 Jul, 2016 4:00 pm
I think the article is probably right about most of that stuff. I want to make money at it just so I can get to do it more, without work and money always getting in the way. I probably make about 3% of the music I could/should be making because it does not currently produce revenue. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.
#1736 Posted Tue 19 Jul, 2016 4:53 pm
I think the article is probably right about most of that stuff. I want to make money at it just so I can get to do it more, without work and money always getting in the way. I probably make about 3% of the music I could/should be making because it does not currently produce revenue. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Originally posted by songmanrob on Tue 19 Jul, 2016

"I probably make about 3% of the music I could/should be making because it does not currently produce revenue. It shouldn't be that way, but it is."

Yeah, I think most indie artists can relate. The old 9 to 5 sucks the life out of most. Lee always says that he'd love to create music for a living, but it's a big risk to even 'try' to take that chance. Music licensing would be ideal - if you could score maybe 4 deals per year, you'd be set. But again, it's quite a risk to take the leap into full-time music making, especially when ya have to pay bills.
#1737 Posted Tue 19 Jul, 2016 10:21 pm
30 years ago when I was playing in bands I complained that it came out to about $2 an hour for all the work. At 55 I'm playing in a rockabilly fusion band now and it comes out to about 10 cents an hour. Best work ever! I have to do IT contracts to marginally survive though. "What do you call a guitar player without a girlfriend? Homeless."
#1738 Posted Thu 21 Jul, 2016 10:59 am
I'm probably gonna sound like that guy, but I don't think I'm ready to put it all on the line just for a shot at making a living out of my music. I like to think that I can sing, but I also know that I suck at self promotion.

To make a long story short, making music is the only think that keeps me sane. It's a blessing and a curse, as I always need that outlet. I need to sing. period.

I need to vent out the love, angst, anger and despair that's locked inside me, and music is the only way I know to let it all out. Somehow, I envy non-musical people who can live their lives without the need to create. It makes things more simple.

Ever noticed that in most famous bands, there's always a less musical member that takes care of all the promotional bull crap? Usually, creative people are pretty bad at self promoting. That's why they need someone who's actually sane to take care of the real things for them ;)
#1739 Posted Thu 21 Jul, 2016 12:14 pm
Greg said... "It's a blessing and a curse"

Yup! I hear that! We must press on! ;-)
#1741 Posted Thu 21 Jul, 2016 3:02 pm
1 2 3 4

Forums > Hangout > 20 Worst Indie Artist MistakesPage 3 of 4

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up