Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > So, why don't online musicians just JAM?

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3

I've been online many years now... and it's always the same on every site. ALL the potential, NO activity! What's up with that?

#4989 Posted Fri 11 Nov, 2022 3:14 pm

I've been online many years now... and it's always the same on every site. ALL the potential, NO activity! What's up with that?

Originally posted by JAPOV on Fri 11 Nov, 2022

I dunno either, good question.

For me I prefer peanut butter with my jam sambo and preferably toasted but that's just me, maybe others have more poignant reasons.

#4990 Posted Fri 11 Nov, 2022 10:49 pm
Mmmmm..., jealousy is tasty
Lip licking heated lovers
Love's a sticky pastry
Like jam and peanut butter... Lol :)
#4991 Posted Sat 12 Nov, 2022 12:15 am
Mmmmm..., jealousy is tasty Lip licking heated lovers Love's a sticky pastry Like jam and peanut butter... Lol :)

Originally posted by JAPOV on Sat 12 Nov, 2022

Statements in the guise as questions and now retorts dressed as lyrics. What a delicious morsel only to be so forlorn

Maybe the answer lies somewhere in the statement or maybe poetry will reveal it's true intent. Who knows?

#4992 Posted Sun 13 Nov, 2022 2:23 am
Oh, come on GV... You know darn well that, my biggest problem is, I'm an OPEN BOOK lol! The fact that my mind is always thinking "music" is just my nature ;)
#4993 Posted Sun 13 Nov, 2022 2:20 pm
I don't really like jamming. I haven't jammed in 25 years. I think the experience for me has always been as a bass player. In that role I've always seemed to have to support and provide the background for guitar players and vocalists to noodle along until something good came out of it. After that happens, the guitar player and singer usually gets credit for coming up with the song. It also tends to always go in the blues direction no matter what it starts as. It's for this reason that I have not written a blues song in 30 years. We did it so much that we formed a spin off band (The Main Street Blues Band) that played spontaneous blues (basically jamming for hours). We left all our equipment at this one club for what seemed like ages. We rehearsed and jammed Sunday through Thursday for at least 4 hours a night. Then our real band would play Friday and Saturday. But I hate that kind of jamming now and I associate the word "jam' with that experience. I only just started to re-discover some of the blues based rock bands I used to like - Free, Bad Company etc..
When I write a song, it starts from an idea that is very specific and is never an accident. I think of it in my head before it ever reaches an instrument. I do not experiment because I pretty much know how it goes. If I present that idea, it's out there for a limited time and collaborators put their stamp on it once or twice. Don't forget, I only stamp it once. This keeps the idea fairly pure. This is not to say that good things never came from other peoples ideas and/or jams. But that takes time I don't have. Unless the road map and direction aren't defined in advance, everyone will go down their own road and no one is really satisfied in the end. It's best used a a practice tool to keep your skills up. There have been some great accidents from jams that have evolved into songs but I don't have time these days. 25 years ago I played everyday of the year. Now I get mere hours and it's broken up. Some is before I go to work and other before I go to bed and it's always quick and dirty. Hardly ever in between. Although I prefer not to work like this, it seems to work out for me because it eliminates all the extra brush strokes that can make the painting all one color - brown.
#4994 Posted Tue 15 Nov, 2022 2:57 pm
Ha! I do that a lot as well... at least I try lol. Having a solid bass line to start with always makes things easier :)
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14513262
#5002 Posted Wed 16 Nov, 2022 7:04 pm
Ha! I do that a lot as well... at least I try lol. Having a solid bass line to start with always makes things easier :) https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14513262

Originally posted by JAPOV on Wed 16 Nov, 2022

Yeah but you're jamming with yourself I gather. I'm told that's only natural and everybody does it

#5004 Posted Thu 17 Nov, 2022 11:02 am
My Mama said that would make me go blind... SHE WAS RIGHT! ;)
#5005 Posted Thu 17 Nov, 2022 11:09 am
Ha! I do that a lot as well... at least I try lol. Having a solid bass line to start with always makes things easier :) https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14513262

Originally posted by JAPOV on Wed 16 Nov, 2022

I think I get what you're trying to state now, the exmple helps. So it's not jam as the traditional sense as Vic's story detailed, you mean like this example. So what you're saying is why don't people jam with themselves more?

That's where I get confused again as when I think on it. isn't that what people do when they create a project to work on and post it. Oh. maybe I do get it, so it's like when I post my stuff but don't ask for any contributions. In other words I jam with myself by playing or programming everything. If everyone did that doesn't kind of defeat the purpose of these types of sites? Just saying, there are no hard rules as far as I'm concerned.

#5011 Posted Thu 17 Nov, 2022 9:54 pm
1 2 3

Forums > Hangout > So, why don't online musicians just JAM?Page 1 of 3

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up