Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > So, why don't online musicians just JAM?

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3
I don't really like jamming. I haven't jammed in 25 years. I think the experience for me has always been as a bass player. In that role I've always seemed to have to support and provide the background for guitar players and vocalists to noodle along until something good came out of it. After that happens, the guitar player and singer usually gets credit for coming up with the song. It also tends to always go in the blues direction no matter what it starts as. It's for this reason that I have not written a blues song in 30 years. We did it so much that we formed a spin off band (The Main Street Blues Band) that played spontaneous blues (basically jamming for hours). We left all our equipment at this one club for what seemed like ages. We rehearsed and jammed Sunday through Thursday for at least 4 hours a night. Then our real band would play Friday and Saturday. But I hate that kind of jamming now and I associate the word "jam' with that experience. I only just started to re-discover some of the blues based rock bands I used to like - Free, Bad Company etc.. When I write a song, it starts from an idea that is very specific and is never an accident. I think of it in my head before it ever reaches an instrument. I do not experiment because I pretty much know how it goes. If I present that idea, it's out there for a limited time and collaborators put their stamp on it once or twice. Don't forget, I only stamp it once. This keeps the idea fairly pure. This is not to say that good things never came from other peoples ideas and/or jams. But that takes time I don't have. Unless the road map and direction aren't defined in advance, everyone will go down their own road and no one is really satisfied in the end. It's best used a a practice tool to keep your skills up. There have been some great accidents from jams that have evolved into songs but I don't have time these days. 25 years ago I played everyday of the year. Now I get mere hours and it's broken up. Some is before I go to work and other before I go to bed and it's always quick and dirty. Hardly ever in between. Although I prefer not to work like this, it seems to work out for me because it eliminates all the extra brush strokes that can make the painting all one color - brown.

Originally posted by V1CTOR on Tue 15 Nov, 2022

Yes this resonates with me very much, your description. Last time I particpated in one of these I ended up asking does anyone know any progressions other than first, forth, fith? I got a blank stare back, well at least they could change keys. I should've known better too as it was a friends blues club. The funny part was when I decided to a progression other the usual only the harp player played along even though he was limited with his notes. All the guitarists were stuck even though on one tune all I did was play around the key centre and left it open to experiment playing any scale they wanted or in other words playing in modes.

#5012 Posted Thu 17 Nov, 2022 10:01 pm

Lol... Yeah', I suppose it's rather difficult to "JAM" in the traditional sense online. However, this place seems to be drawing new members all the time. So, with the exception of the occasional challenge, why isn't there any new "completed" music to show for it?

#5013 Posted Thu 17 Nov, 2022 11:19 pm
A message posted on Fri 18 Nov, 2022 7:36 am was deleted
Yeah', finding that perfect singer is always a challenge...
Perhaps I'd be happier if I just lowered my standards... some more Lol ;)
#5015 Posted Fri 18 Nov, 2022 2:56 pm

Three chords and the TRUTH is all it takes Ya'll! tongue-out

#5016 Posted Fri 18 Nov, 2022 3:02 pm

After retiring from the road, I joined online collaborations to contribute drums since the demand was high and it was a way to give back and learn. For the last twelve years, I've spent an insane amount of time in the woodshed learning production, taking courses, reading a ton of information, streamlining my workflow, helping others finish songs, practicing my songwriting skills, developing my multi-instrumental skills, and even building friendships along the way. Those are the PROS of online collaboration. The CONS have been acquiring a stalker, dealing with RAGING egos from people that have more gear than talent or brains, people who can't take a note or get offended at the simplest feedback or constructive criticism, the amateur hour/hobbyist who needs constant validation, people seeking free session work that post entire albums to be completed, and people who tear others down while flexing on the skill they don't actually have. It's common for people who rattle on about their endless expensive gear to post nothing but subpar or horrific works. The most professional people I have met and worked with were ALL humble, having seen true greatness that exceeds anything 99.9% of us could never achieve. They know just how much work and sacrifice goes into that level of mastery. Jamming brings to mind the nightmares of watching drunk/high people with instruments fumble through 1/4/5 nonsense with all the musicality of a leaf blower at an indoor funeral service. That brings to mind the shitshow of seeing the Grateful Dead dribble out 3 hours of mindless meandering garbage to 15k tripping post-neo hippies. Unforgettable and unforgivable. Nothing gets me out of my seat quicker and scrambling to the nearest exit than a bunch of white guys playing "blues." No one asked, but I'll answer anyway...what inspires me to jump in on an online collaboration? The project owner isn't insane is a good start, any notes and directions are clear, all tracks are readily available, I can carve out enough time to contribute, and most importantly is that the project is something I can connect with on a personal level. It can be a very rough idea and a single track, but if the seed of the idea triggers inspiration, it's on!

#5017 Posted Sun 20 Nov, 2022 12:51 pm

Lol Kevin...

These days, where do you find an accurate definition for insanity? wink

#5018 Posted Sun 20 Nov, 2022 6:32 pm
Have a happy Thanksgiving Ya'll :)
#5027 Posted Wed 23 Nov, 2022 7:45 pm

After retiring from the road, I joined online collaborations to contribute drums since the demand was high and it was a way to give back and learn. For the last twelve years, I've spent an insane amount of time in the woodshed learning production, taking courses, reading a ton of information, streamlining my workflow, helping others finish songs, practicing my songwriting skills, developing my multi-instrumental skills, and even building friendships along the way. Those are the PROS of online collaboration. The CONS have been acquiring a stalker, dealing with RAGING egos from people that have more gear than talent or brains, people who can't take a note or get offended at the simplest feedback or constructive criticism, the amateur hour/hobbyist who needs constant validation, people seeking free session work that post entire albums to be completed, and people who tear others down while flexing on the skill they don't actually have. It's common for people who rattle on about their endless expensive gear to post nothing but subpar or horrific works. The most professional people I have met and worked with were ALL humble, having seen true greatness that exceeds anything 99.9% of us could never achieve. They know just how much work and sacrifice goes into that level of mastery. Jamming brings to mind the nightmares of watching drunk/high people with instruments fumble through 1/4/5 nonsense with all the musicality of a leaf blower at an indoor funeral service. That brings to mind the shitshow of seeing the Grateful Dead dribble out 3 hours of mindless meandering garbage to 15k tripping post-neo hippies. Unforgettable and unforgivable. Nothing gets me out of my seat quicker and scrambling to the nearest exit than a bunch of white guys playing "blues." No one asked, but I'll answer anyway...what inspires me to jump in on an online collaboration? The project owner isn't insane is a good start, any notes and directions are clear, all tracks are readily available, I can carve out enough time to contribute, and most importantly is that the project is something I can connect with on a personal level. It can be a very rough idea and a single track, but if the seed of the idea triggers inspiration, it's on!

Originally posted by Astronut on Sun 20 Nov, 2022

"with all the musicality of a leaf blower at an indoor funeral service"

That's my new "Go-To" descriptor for anything. Thanks Astronut, and great to see ya! 

#5198 Posted Wed 06 Sep, 2023 7:53 am

"with all the musicality of a leaf blower at an indoor funeral service"

That's my new "Go-To" descriptor for anything. Thanks Astronut, and great to see ya! 

Originally posted by BillRayDrums on Wed 06 Sep, 2023

Same to you, Bill! Have fun drumming this morning! :D

#5199 Posted Wed 06 Sep, 2023 8:00 am
1 2 3

Forums > Hangout > So, why don't online musicians just JAM?Page 2 of 3

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up