Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Synthwave / Futurewave / Retrowave

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Since the first time I heard a synthesizer as a kid, I was hooked! They sounded like the future to me. Now, decades later, they still give me the same sensation. I've been on a synthwave kick lately. Last week I spent every day rebuilding my studio computer, so on Friday I decided to write a new piece of music. I released it yesterday and have received a lot of very kind feedback, so I thought I would share it here as well. For those not familiar with synthwave, it's a throwback style inspired by the 80s sound & visual asthetics. I hope everyone is well and hanging in there during this "new nornal" we find ourselves immersed in. Take care, make some music. <3

https://youtu.be/6eyXN3au1sc

#4137 Posted Mon 04 May, 2020 10:27 am

Since the first time I heard a synthesizer as a kid, I was hooked! They sounded like the future to me. Now, decades later, they still give me the same sensation. I've been on a synthwave kick lately. Last week I spent every day rebuilding my studio computer, so on Friday I decided to write a new piece of music. I released it yesterday and have received a lot of very kind feedback, so I thought I would share it here as well. For those not familiar with synthwave, it's a throwback style inspired by the 80s sound & visual asthetics. I hope everyone is well and hanging in there during this "new nornal" we find ourselves immersed in. Take care, make some music. <3

Originally posted by Astronut on Mon 04 May, 2020

I love synthwave, and like you, it has the same affect on me. 

Your song sounds like something straight out of an 80's movie, really love it - you did a great job in capturing that feeling.  The video is super cool too!  :)

#4138 Posted Mon 04 May, 2020 11:20 am

I love synthwave, and like you, it has the same affect on me. 

Your song sounds like something straight out of an 80's movie, really love it - you did a great job in capturing that feeling.  The video is super cool too!  :)

Originally posted by RAVEN on Mon 04 May, 2020

Thank you so much! :) I'll be working on a full album over time, but currently working on podcast stuff. I appreciate you taking time to check it out!

#4139 Posted Mon 04 May, 2020 11:47 am

Originally posted by Astronut on Mon 04 May, 2020

Kevin, This is so cool! The animation is a perfect fit too! Do you have a wall of vintage synths or something? Everything sounds like a true 80's vintage! ;-)

#4144 Posted Sat 09 May, 2020 12:27 pm

Kevin, This is so cool! The animation is a perfect fit too! Do you have a wall of vintage synths or something? Everything sounds like a true 80's vintage! ;-)

Originally posted by DrewRoss on Sat 09 May, 2020

Thank you, Drew! :) I only own one synth and two midi controllers. I'll be working on a full album when time permits. Currently swamped. haha

#4145 Posted Sat 09 May, 2020 12:36 pm

Thank you, Drew! :) I only own one synth and two midi controllers. I'll be working on a full album when time permits. Currently swamped. haha

Originally posted by Astronut on Sat 09 May, 2020

Sounds incredible Kev! Can I ask where you get your synth sounds?  Looking forward to hearing more from this project! ;-)

#4146 Posted Sat 09 May, 2020 2:02 pm

Sounds incredible Kev! Can I ask where you get your synth sounds?  Looking forward to hearing more from this project! ;-)

Originally posted by DrewRoss on Sat 09 May, 2020

I normally catch them in a mole trap, but some were found behind a dumpster in a little town called Willoughby (don't visit via train!). A few have been gifted to me by a Priest with two wooden legs. Wait, you were talking about synthesizer sounds, right?!? Sorry, sorry...

I own a Behringer Model D. I also purchased the full Arturia keys package for half-price last year (still a lot of money for a drummer to shell out!). I have a few freebies in Kontakt as well as antiquated vsts and other junk laying around. I think the trick is to try to make the mess I create work together, which isn't always an easy task. I hope to purchase a Behringer Pro-One some day. <3 People get mad about Behringer, but I am not a rich man that can shell out tens of thousands for vintage synths (drool). :D Hope you are doing well, sir!

#4147 Posted Sat 09 May, 2020 5:31 pm
Willoughby, next stop...Willoughby!
#4148 Posted Sat 09 May, 2020 5:50 pm
Willoughby, next stop...Willoughby!

Originally posted by RAVEN on Sat 09 May, 2020

Willoughby

#4149 Posted Sat 09 May, 2020 7:38 pm
Well done. Like it.
In addition to Arturia, I also use the behringer synthesizers. they sound great. I'm currently testing Roland cloud. is a lot of fun
#4150 Posted Sat 09 May, 2020 10:30 pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Forums > Hangout > Synthwave / Futurewave / RetrowavePage 1 of 8

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up