Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > The ProCollabs Cut Up Challenge

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Welcome to the ProCollabs Cut Up Challenge.

We all like a challenge, so here’s one that everyone can get involved in, either as an individual or as part of a team, it’s completely up to you (and thanks to everyone to contributed their thoughts and ideas to my Challenge forum post).

It’s really simple and everyone who enters gets a very nice $10 credit added to their ProCollabs account which you can use to towards your membership, upgrading your membership, buying an icon or putting it towards private projects, you choose. This means everyone who joins in is a winner, rather than having one main prize. It also means it’s a challenge and not a competition, so there is no judging, but it would be great to get everyone commenting or giving Kudos to those who enter.

So what do we have to do, I hear you say, and the answer is this:

Create a song in any genre you want, either as part of a collaboration (you’ll either need to invite others, or encourage them to join you) or as a solo effort. Also, for a change, you can join as many different entries as you like (sadly, you’ll only get one $10 credit though………).

You have to use the Cut Up method to create your lyrics, if you are not sure what that is, check out this link of David Bowie describing how he used it:

https://youtu.be/m1InCrzGIPU

Talking of David Bowie, you will need to use the words below, taken from a selection of his extensive repertoire, to create your Cut Up lyrics.

To help you along the way, you can change the tense or form of the some of the words if that helps you, for example: “I’ve loved” to “I’m loving”, or “laughed” to “laughing”, you can even add the odd additional word or two, if you really need to.

You can write your track in any order you want, if you want to start with drums, or synths (or whatever you choose) rather than the lyrics, that fine, but it won't qualify for the $10 credit until the lyrics are written. Anyone who joins in with another members entry will also be credited their $10 once the lyrics have been written.

The challenge will run for 10 weeks until 15th July, so that should be plenty of time to get your creative juices flowing and writing some amazing music.

Let us know if you are going to join in by posting into this thread, and put "CUC" as the first part of your tracks title so we know it is part of the challenge. You can then remove it when you put it into the media library and lastly, keep the track to under 5 mins in length.

Good luck everyone, and any questions just ask, or PM me (Vuya) - I’ve probably missed something off :)

Here are the words to use to Cut Up:

We passed upon the stair, we spoke of was and when although I wasn't there, he said I was his friend. Which came as some surprise I spoke into his eyes I thought you died alone, a long long time ago. Oh no, not me I never lost control you're face to face with the man who sold the world. I laughed and shook his hand, and made my way back home, I searched for form and land, for years and years I roamed. I gazed a gazely stare at all the millions here we must have died alone, a long, long time ago, who knows? Not me, we never lost control, you're face to face with the man who sold the world

I, I will be king and you, you will be queen though nothing will drive them away, we can beat them, just for one day, we can be heroes, just for one day. And you, you can be mean and I, I'll drink all the time, ‘cause we're lovers, and that is a fact, yes we're lovers, and that is that. Though nothing, will keep us together, we could steal time, just for one day, we can be heroes, for ever and ever, what d'you say?

I, I wish you could swim like the dolphins, like dolphins can swim, though nothing, nothing will keep us together. We can beat them, for ever and ever, oh we can be Heroes, just for one day. I, I will be king and you, you will be queen, though nothing will drive them away, we can be Heroes, just for one day, we can be us, just for one day. I, I can remember standing, by the wall and the guns shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall, and the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them, for ever and ever, then we could be Heroes, just for one day

Do you remember a guy that's been in such an early song, I've heard a rumour from Ground Control, oh no, don't say it's true. They got a message from the Action Man, "I'm happy. hope you're happy, too, I've loved all I've needed love, sordid details following." The shrieking of nothing is killing me, just pictures of Jap girls in synthesis and I ain't got no money and I ain't got no hair but I'm hoping to kick but the planet is glowing. ~Ashes to ashes, funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junkie strung out in heaven's high hitting an all-time low

Time and again I tell myself I'll stay clean tonight, but the little green wheels are following me, oh, no, not again, I'm stuck with a valuable friend. "I'm happy. Hope you're happy, too."One flash of light but no smoking pistol

I never done good things, I never done bad things, I never did anything out of the blue. Want an axe to break the ice wanna come down right now. My mama said, "To get things done you'd better not mess with Major Tom.

It's a god-awful small affair to the girl with the mousy hair, but her mummy is yelling, "No!" and her daddy has told her to go. But her friend is nowhere to be seen now she walks through her sunken dream, to the seat with the clearest view and she's hooked to the silver screen. But the film is a saddening bore for she's lived it ten times or more, she could spit in the eyes of fools as they ask her to focus on sailors fighting in the dance hall. Oh man, look at those cavemen go, It's the freakiest show, take a look at the lawman beating up the wrong guy, oh man, wonder if he'll ever know he's in the best-selling show, is there life on Mars? It's on America's tortured brow that Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow. Now the workers have struck for fame ‘cause Lennon's on sale again. See the mice in their million hordes from Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads. Rule Britannia is out of bounds to my mother, my dog, and clowns, but the film is a saddening bore 'cause I wrote it ten times or more. It's about to be writ again as I ask you to focus on.
#2315 Posted Sat 06 May, 2017 4:11 pm
Wow, this sounds like a lot of fun. Question is......can staff join in? :)
#2316 Posted Sat 06 May, 2017 7:18 pm
Wow, this sounds like a lot of fun. Question is......can staff join in? :)

Originally posted by RAVEN on Sat 06 May, 2017

Of course they can, except pizza is substituted for the credit. All provided by country monkey.
#2317 Posted Sat 06 May, 2017 9:09 pm
Of course they can, except pizza is substituted for the credit. All provided by country monkey.

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Sat 06 May, 2017

Woohoo, then I'm in! :)
#2318 Posted Sat 06 May, 2017 9:28 pm
Let the fun begin!!
#2319 Posted Sun 07 May, 2017 12:29 am
Ah yeah!! :))

BTW, here's another cut up video: https://youtu.be/6nlW4EbxTD8
#2320 Posted Sun 07 May, 2017 9:17 am
#2321 Posted Sun 07 May, 2017 9:21 am
Haha Andrew, I think we need to get a special "pizza" badge just for Dani then...... and yes, staff can enter :)

Great find Ryan and thanks for sharing...... hopefully they will help to inspire everyone to join in :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing what everyone does.
#2322 Posted Sun 07 May, 2017 10:26 am
This is a challenge I can sink my teeth into. Thanks
#2323 Posted Sun 07 May, 2017 11:03 am
That's great V1ctor, and thanks for all your feedback.
#2324 Posted Sun 07 May, 2017 11:39 am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Forums > Community Challenges > The ProCollabs Cut Up ChallengePage 1 of 9

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up