Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > The ProCollabs Cut Up Challenge

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Well, since you asked, this challenge was a little post-modern for me. Cutting up words & putting them together to make sense just seemed too overwhelming. It's easier for me just to start from scratch. It doesn't mean I'll never do a challenge, it just needs to be more directed for me to wrap my tiny little brain around it.
I came here because my music is nothing without lots of help from musicians. I stay here because I am constantly getting positive feedback & help. I came here because Tony told me about Raven when I asked him who did a certain song of his. MonkeyC did such a great job bringing everything together that I could never go back.
There is so much personality in this one place (musically & otherwise)! I like experimenting with other people's music. Sometimes I put music to their lyrics. Sometimes I put lyrics to their music. It is really good practice, even if I don't join their project. And hey, if their music inspires me to start my own project, who can beat that!
Vuya, don't let one little challenge get you down. Some day, a challenge is gonna be just what someone needs to get up off their butt & try something new! And one project is still one project! After all, didn't we all start with one song?
#2419 Posted Sat 10 Jun, 2017 8:44 am
Fair enough, I understand that it won't resonate with everyone, and hopefully we will see you in a future challenge.

It's brilliant that you are getting lots of positive feedback and you are right there are so many amazing personalities here, especially Raven and MonkeyC.

Thanks for the encouragement, although it would take a lot more than this to get me down........the reason I put the post up is that we used to have Challenges about a year ago and to start with they attracted a reasonable amount of participation, but interestingly as the site has grown that interest has not grown with it. In fact that was why the Challenges stopped. This was an attempt to get them going again............ especially given how many new members we have got now :)
#2420 Posted Sat 10 Jun, 2017 9:58 am
Vuya,
For me, I think it comes down to the enormity of an entire song as a challenge. I'm struggling just to get a single song completed. I loved the idea of this challenge and tried to get something going lyrically. I think I just failed the challenge...lol. I didn't come up with anything that would make any sense without the benefit of barbiturates. Maybe a challenge that didn't require the efforts at an entire song might promote more participation...hmmm....maybe, have a simple beat with a simple chord progression as a foundation and see what range of songs can come from that? I love lyric challenges on other sites, but it's even a bit much when they want an entire song. Probably because I still have a lot of irons in the fire (kiddo's and such).
#2421 Posted Sat 10 Jun, 2017 10:34 am
Since it was just a challenge and not a competition, I used the cut-up method more loosely than perhaps how the "rules" were intended to be followed. I took it as a way to generate ideas not necessarily to create all the words for a song. Perhaps those having a difficult time with the challenge, they might use the concept in a less strict manner. The idea of using any songwriting technique is to spur ideas and concepts. There is no right or wrong... only exercising the craft of songwriting. It also is not a competition... so reach out to someone that you think can add or aid in your song. If someone ever wants help word-smithing lyrics, just let me know.
#2423 Posted Sat 10 Jun, 2017 12:02 pm
Vuya, For me, I think it comes down to the enormity of an entire song as a challenge. I'm struggling just to get a single song completed. I loved the idea of this challenge and tried to get something going lyrically. I think I just failed the challenge...lol. I didn't come up with anything that would make any sense without the benefit of barbiturates. Maybe a challenge that didn't require the efforts at an entire song might promote more participation...hmmm....maybe, have a simple beat with a simple chord progression as a foundation and see what range of songs can come from that? I love lyric challenges on other sites, but it's even a bit much when they want an entire song. Probably because I still have a lot of irons in the fire (kiddo's and such).

Originally posted by tpistilli on Sat 10 Jun, 2017

Thanks Tony, that's understandable - it is a big task completing a track.

Haha......I think Bowie came up with quite a few tracks that probably only make sense with barbiturates ;)
#2424 Posted Sat 10 Jun, 2017 12:40 pm
Since it was just a challenge and not a competition, I used the cut-up method more loosely than perhaps how the "rules" were intended to be followed. I took it as a way to generate ideas not necessarily to create all the words for a song. Perhaps those having a difficult time with the challenge, they might use the concept in a less strict manner. The idea of using any songwriting technique is to spur ideas and concepts. There is no right or wrong... only exercising the craft of songwriting. It also is not a competition... so reach out to someone that you think can add or aid in your song. If someone ever wants help word-smithing lyrics, just let me know.

Originally posted by DonWeismantel on Sat 10 Jun, 2017

Absolutely Don, the cut-up part was only ever meant as a starting point so any adaptation is good. As you say it's just to spur ideas and concepts, definitely no right or wrong. It's the reaching out part that's at the core - to try and get a bit of interaction going, but maybe there isn't a big desire for it. Maybe everyone just wants to collaborate in their own way, rather than within a set of parameters, which is perfectly fine :)
#2425 Posted Sat 10 Jun, 2017 12:50 pm
Thanks Tony, that's understandable - it is a big task completing a track. Haha......I think Bowie came up with quite a few tracks that probably only make sense with barbiturates ;)

Originally posted by Vuya on Sat 10 Jun, 2017

Now that's a true statement...lol
#2427 Posted Sat 10 Jun, 2017 2:41 pm
I think more may jump in on this challenge with more than a month still to go.

Anyone out there currently working on this challenge quietly in the shadows?
#2430 Posted Sat 10 Jun, 2017 4:05 pm
Mine is sitting and waiting for additional work to be done. I think I'll have at least 3 contributors. It's vacation time so it's a little rough on everyone. I also need time for vocal work. I have a habit of prematurely presenting my work so I'm trying to exercise a little restraint this time.
If anyone else needs help getting started on their project , I can probably help a little with bass and maybe keyboard stuff. Figured I'd offer
#2441 Posted Tue 13 Jun, 2017 1:29 pm
Excellent V1ctor......look forward to hearing what you've done, and hoping lots of others join the parade.... :)
#2442 Posted Tue 13 Jun, 2017 1:52 pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Forums > Community Challenges > The ProCollabs Cut Up ChallengePage 5 of 9

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up