Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > The ProCollabs Cut Up Challenge

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I'm in! Sounds like fun! I've got lyrics already written.

Edit... I just re-read and see that you are not just using the cut-up method to get strings of ideas but want to stick really close to Bowie's lyric phrases but just re-arranged?

Not sure if mine will qualify exactly for the challenge then. I took various scattered phrases and built a song around them.

Vuya, I can message you the lyrics if you want to rule if it fits or not.
#2325 Posted Sun 07 May, 2017 4:37 pm
Cut Up Machine http://www.languageisavirus.com/cutupmachine.php#.WQ8fNuUrIkk

Originally posted by Roo on Sun 07 May, 2017

Wow, what a great find, Ryan. I just pasted one of the paragraphs into that machine & the result was freakin' wild. :)
#2326 Posted Sun 07 May, 2017 9:56 pm
I'm in! Sounds like fun! I've got lyrics already written. Edit... I just re-read and see that you are not just using the cut-up method to get strings of ideas but want to stick really close to Bowie's lyric phrases but just re-arranged? Not sure if mine will qualify exactly for the challenge then. I took various scattered phrases and built a song around them. Vuya, I can message you the lyrics if you want to rule if it fits or not.

Originally posted by DonWeismantel on Sun 07 May, 2017

Yeah, I won't be cutting up Bowie's lyric phrases either. Instead, I will use the cut up method on an assortment of disparate texts to develop new lyrical phrases. If someone feels that disqualifies me from the challenge, I won't be offended. :)
#2327 Posted Mon 08 May, 2017 1:32 am
Yeah, I won't be cutting up Bowie's lyric phrases either. Instead, I will use the cut up method on an assortment of disparate texts to develop new lyrical phrases. If someone feels that disqualifies me from the challenge, I won't be offended. :)

Originally posted by Roo on Mon 08 May, 2017

I am using various Bowie concepts from the songs and some words or couple word phrases here and there in different context. I am trying to pattern the lyrics and music in a Bowie-esc manner. I used the cut up technique to spark the idea and filled in the mortar between the bricks mostly for the chorus. If it doesn't conform enough to fit the challenge, I am fine with that as well. It still is a fun exercise.
#2328 Posted Mon 08 May, 2017 1:48 am
If you don't use those particular lyrics, why don't you just sort of disclose what it was that gave you the lyrical idea you came up with as part of the submission. I'm sure the guys who use this technique do not stick to the actual words themselves but use it as a tool to probe the subconscious. I went over the lyrics provided and although they are all great songs in themselves, they didn't spark anything new and creative (yet)
#2329 Posted Mon 08 May, 2017 9:08 am
Well given the feedback so far, I guess it would be fine to use some texts of your own if you prefer to do that rather than use the Bowie words. But I think in the spirit of the Cut Up element of it, it would be good to share your original source so that everyone can see what was used for the inspiration and gauge it against the Cut Up lyrics. Perhaps paste the original source text into the forum?

How does that sound? Basically, we want as many people as possible to join in and get involved :)
#2330 Posted Mon 08 May, 2017 3:27 pm
This could be very interesting. I will definitely give it a shot. . .well with the lyrics anyway....we'll see.
#2331 Posted Mon 08 May, 2017 3:46 pm
Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. My music is weird enough without the Cut Up technique, so this should be interesting. :)
#2334 Posted Mon 08 May, 2017 4:12 pm
Well given the feedback so far, I guess it would be fine to use some texts of your own if you prefer to do that rather than use the Bowie words. But I think in the spirit of the Cut Up element of it, it would be good to share your original source so that everyone can see what was used for the inspiration and gauge it against the Cut Up lyrics. Perhaps paste the original source text into the forum? How does that sound? Basically, we want as many people as possible to join in and get involved :)

Originally posted by Vuya on Mon 08 May, 2017

Sounds good. I'll be sure to share my original source material. I will also attempt to explain my thought process behind...

-ordering the cut ups
-making any further adjustments and/or changes

When all is said and done, if the process seems interesting enough, MAYBE I'll even create a blog about it. ;)
#2335 Posted Mon 08 May, 2017 5:03 pm
So here is what I came up with. I still have to record vocals or at least a lyric fit vocal. Vuya, you can let me know if it fits enough in the guidelines of the challenge. If not, no worries. Taking bits and pieces from several sources to generate a concept was an interesting exercise for me. I usually write from personal experience so that is a different way for me to generate ideas.

https://www.procollabs.com/project/834
#2336 Posted Mon 08 May, 2017 7:50 pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Forums > Community Challenges > The ProCollabs Cut Up ChallengePage 2 of 9

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up